Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Stuck Up People

You know the friend I've been talking about the last coupla posts ? I bumped into her husband last night while out drinking with my cousin and his girlfriend.

What a coincidence. I didn't recognize him at first. He had a this goateed look going.

He told me that she's not in town until the 11th. She's in Sabah apparently.

Last night was a good one, except that the place I went to was packed to the rafters and we had to shout a lot over the music and the crowd. We had vodka. Anytime is a good time for vodka. I got really buzzed.

We had good conversation too. Some of which can be printed here unfortunately. Nothing too interesting though. Just business talk and some news about some friends.

There is one thing though. Many many months ago I got introduced to someone by a friend. We didn't get along very well. Last night, I found out why.

I had a suspicion that the bitch was stuck up, and boy was I right. She didn't like me much because I hang out at, how shall we say.... low class places.

Ok, I understand that people have preferences and some places aren't cool enough for some people for whatever reason. That's fine. There are some clubs in town that I wouldn't even drive past, never mind patronize.

But to reject someone just because he goes to a certain kind of place is just plain, baseless, shallow snobbiness. It's stupid.

And all this coming from someone who's supposedly well educated. Goes to prove my point that one can be educated and stupid at the same time.

Apparently, she felt that she had to maintain a certain "class" by patronizing certain places, associating with certain "people" and probably looking a certain way. It's unbelievable. And she's just a nobody.

She hasn't done anything worthy of mention. She's not a celebrity or famous or accomplished or anything like that. She's just a regular. Just like me.

And yet, somehow she thinks she's better than me. I'll say it right now, I'm BETTER THAN HER because I'm not stuck up. And I'll never be.

I could earn a million bucks a week, live in a 10 room mansion and drive a Diablo and nothing will change. I'll still keep the same friends and hang out at the same places. I'll still visit Florence and buy cheese burgers at that burger stall behind the bus stand at Jalan Kulas. I'll still blog and play my computer games.

Of course, I'll probably be busier and some of my activities will change. But there will be no change inside. I used to be dirt poor and I was the same guy. Now, I'm quite well off. And yes, I'm still the same guy. Mostly anyway. Things have improved and so far, I haven't woken up and thought that I was somehow too good for my current bunch of friends.

Everyone has a right to pick and choose their company. I'm not questioning hers. It's just that I think that's she's picking and doing for all the wrong reasons. I don't like her methods. Most of all, I can't stand the implied "superiority". To me, she hasn't done a thing to merit her snottiness.

I try to understand though. Maybe her reasons sound good to her. Whatever right ? Go and pick your friends by what they earn, what they drive, what club they go to and which college they went to.

Just don't expect me to respect you for that. Remember, your blood is still the same colour as mine.

I don't really care that we didn't hit it off well. She doesn't mean that much to me anyway.

In other news, I got a really nice phone call from another friend just now. She told me that she liked something I wrote and that she was sorry about my dog. Man, I simply cannot describe how flattered I am by that.

I know you're reading this. Thank you and when you're in town please call me and I'll buy you another drink at Seattle. Or we can have lunch/dinner/food of some kind. Whatever you want.

It's a milestone of sorts. No one's ever mentioned liking what I've written here by calling me on the phone from another state.

In yet more news, I'm currently enjoying my latest musical discovery. Seether ! For all you mood metal hardcore fans out there, check out their album Disclaimer II. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Currently Listening to Pride Seether Disclaimer II

No comments: