Saturday, March 12, 2005

Old Songs



I hate Lite & Easy ! Actually no, I like that radio station. It serves prodigious amounts of cheese and corny mush. Or is it mushy corn ?

Old songs are so good aren't they ? They could be really annoyingly poppy and bubble gummy, or in the case of 80's music, unbelievably tacky, and still sound so good.

It's the memories I tell you. The songs themselves may not be much. But their value is in the memories they stir up.

I was just listening to Madonna's Live to Tell. Now, I'm not a huge fan of Madonna. But I do like a lot of her earlier stuff all the way up till the True Blue album. Everyone knows that one. At least they should. It's got songs like Open Your Heart and Papa Don't Preach in it.

Ahh, I'm suddenly overwhelmed by a surge of nostalgia. Anyway, memories. Old songs nearly always sound better because of them.

I was in secondary school when that Madonna song first got air time. Boy that was a long time ago. That was before I discovered metal. I had these huge glasses and did not wear jeans. Life was so simple then and yet not quite as good as it is now. It was a time of innocence and terrible confusion simultaneously.

Kids can be cruel. But that's not what I want to think about today.

I recall a chat I had with a friend two months ago (I think) about the soundtracks of our life. Yep, soundtracks as in plural. More than one.

I remember reading many blog entries about songs than mean a lot to people and one or two entries had a playlist of what you might call a soundtrack of a person's life.

I can't have just one soundtrack. Neither can my friend. I would probably have a few cds worth of songs broken down by time period, like the College Years' OST or the early 90s soundtrack.

In fact, one of these days, I might actually compile something and put it here for everyone to see. If I'm not feeling lazy anyway.

Life is like a movie sometimes. And good movies have good music in the background.

I'm obviously bored.

And talking about good movies, this evening Rin messaged me about Sepet playing at Star Cineplex. I've been waiting for that movie to show eversince it came out. Unfortunately I have to work this weekend.

That sucks.

Edit: One of the most significant bunch of songs I ever heard was Jon Bon Jovi's Young Guns II OST. That album came out in 1990 and that was the final year of school. Every song in that album meant something, especially Dying Ain't Much of a Living, Santa Fe and Miracle.

Stick To Your Guns is another Bon Jovi song that is very important to me....

"So you want to be a cowboy
Well you know it's more that just a ride
Guess you got to know the real thing
If you want to know the other side
Ain't nobody riding shotgun
In this world tonight

And when you spit, you better mean it
You got to make 'em all believe it
If you're gonna be the one

Stick to your guns
Ain't nobody's gonna hurt you, baby
You can go for the trigger
But only if you have to

Aim from the heart
Some will love and some will curse you, baby
And you can go to war
But only if you have to

It's only if you have to"

Stick To Your Guns Bon Jovi New Jersey

No comments: