Saturday, January 01, 2005

Jungle Party at Camp Tranquile

I just came back from the most fun New Year's Eve bash I've had in the longest time.

We, myself and three of our friends arrived at Camp Permai at about 2.00pm to set up. Lots to do, set up the sound system, cool the booze, peel garlic etc. And of course, go through our bottle of rum.

Camp Permai, not the most well known of retreats but the place is gorgeous. There we were, playing music loudly in our cabin right in the middle of the jungle. I like the way they built the cabins and tree houses. These man-made structures blended right into the background without being the least bit intrusive. The place is surreal. And the Jungle Pool is the best idea ever. They basically diverted and caught water from a jungle stream. The water was pure, cold and clean. I loved it.

We also saw a monkey steal food from a nearby cabin. My friend took pictures and tried to scare the monkey off by swearing at it in different languages. It didn't work.

The rest arrived at about seven onwards. I think there were around 14 of us total. And they brought more food and booze. We had enough food to feed an infantry company and enough alcohol to drown a water buffalo in. It was great.

Unfortunately, I drank too much too fast and passed out by 10.00pm. So when the year changed, I was in the cabin trying to stand up and failing miserably while the rest of the guys were outside at the pit eating and singing loudly and drinking.

I have to remember to not chase vodka with more vodka. I think next time I'll just chase my drinks with coke like how normal people do it.

The 1st of January dawned bright and clear with no rain, which was weird since it's the rainy season. We slowly made our way to the barbecue pit to drink tea and eat bread. We talked about what we thought of 2004. For many of us, it was a good year. For me it kinda sucked. Later we went to the Jungle Pool again. Nothing like jumping into cold, mountain water to cure hangovers.

Camp Permai is gorgeous. I wish I had a camera.

It was a great party to see out the year. Friends, food, booze aplenty. Plus the jungle and all its various sounds.

Oh and one more thing.

One of my friends brought along his girlfriend and she brought along another (girl)friend. She looked like Eliza Dushku, I swear it ! Heck, she is the SAME age as Eliza Dushku ! And she was Iban ! And from Kuching ! And NOT a child ! And SINGLE ! *gasp shock horror*

Errgghh, curse me and my inability to make small talk. Plus, I couldn't do much cause at least two other guys (who are my friends) were all over her.

But really, I feel like I should've done or said something and now I'm kicking my ass. I didn't feel so badly at first because I thought she was from Miri like some of our other guests. Yeah, that was my lame attempt at justifying my inaction. I was actually telling myself there's no point since she's not from around here and I'll probably never see her again. I didn't start kicking my own ass until my friend said,"Dude, she's from here la..."

Before we parted ways, I did go up to say hi and ask her name. I think she noticed me notice her while we were having brunch. I hope I didn't creep her out.

Yes I'm lame like that. I guess this is one thing I need to work at. And fast.

But bless my friends, for once they were seriously supportive. Don't be shy they said. Just do it. We support you.

Still, I don't know whether I want to seek her out yet. Maybe I will. Maybe.

So how did your New Year's Eve go ?

Currently Listening to "Perfect World" Simple Plan Still Not Getting Any....

No comments: