Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Acting

I woke up this morning to find streamyx off line again. Looks like I'll be hot footing it to a cyber cafe again for awhile. I'm not surprised at all by this. At least I managed to complete all my downloads before the death of DSL..

I downloaded the Buffy Season 6 special features last night. It's great, but then again I'm extremely biased about Buffy so everything Buffy related is good. It's a thing, you know ?

Anyway, I especially love the musical episode featurettes. In fact I love featurettes in general. They tell you things about films, filming, direction, production, special effects, the writing process etc. I also like cast/director/producer commentaries for the same reason. Very, very educational. And also funny. For example, check out the cast commentary on The Grudge DVD. It was hilarious.

Sarah Michelle Gellar's a funny girl. She should do a comedy feature. She's also a brilliant dramatic actress. No one can pull off angst like Sarah can...

Another thing I picked up while watching DVD featurettes and the-making-of specials is how horrendously difficult acting really is. Imagine doing a role that requires you to be someone who has absolutely nothing in common with you.

I did some acting once, if you could call it that. I was 16 I think and it was a Boys' Brigade NCOs retreat. We were divided into groups and each group was supposed to write a short skit with a horror theme. I played a corpse. I had no lines, obviously.

I was terrified. I think if I had to to that now, I'd be looking forward to it actually.

As difficulty as acting is, I do find myself being tantalized by the idea of acting. It's one of those things that on starting level, seems almost possible for everyone to do. It;s only when you need to do a character that is nothing like yourself that it looks nearly impossible anyway.

I think so anyway. I'm a layman, don't ask me whether any of this is true or not.

In other news, I'm off work tomorrow. Therefore as a reminder to myself, I need to get my guitar fixed, complain to Telekom about Streamyx (again) and hunt for a camera.

And maybe later in the evening I could look up Florence and see what she's up to. Maybe I'll get angsty again and write another long, ranty post.

Update:-

Report logged to Streamyx Helpdesk. Now, lets see how long this takes.

No comments: