Thursday, December 30, 2004

Clairvoyant

Just by looking through your eyes
He could see the future penetrating
right in through your mind
See the truth and see your lies
But for all his power couldn't foresee his own demise


- The Clairvoyant, Iron Maiden, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

If you could, would you like to know your future ?

Tempting prospect isn't it ? If you knew the ifs and whens that are coming, it would be easier wouldn't it ? It'll be like playing a PC game with cheat codes and a downloaded walkthrough. You'll know what to avoid and what to take advantage off. Think of all the mistakes you could avoid doing ! And all the opportunities that you might've missed if you didn't have the prior knowledge ! Life would be a cake walk !

Before I go on, this post is partly inspired by Sativa's post recently. Sativa is a very creative, thoughtful girl. I find her writing fascinating.

Anyway, sometimes I do wish I know what will happen. I think that'll save me many hours of anxiety and trepidation. Especially when it involves something particularly life changing like a new job or a relationship. Avoid all the pitfalls and go straight to the good stuff. No pain ! No hassle ! No agonizing about making the right choices ? This future knowledge thing is good, no ?

Yes it is good. On paper.

Humans being that we are, how fast do you think before life gets boring ? Everything's so predictable, so dull, so unsurprising. We're like that we humans, never ever happy for long with anything.

So do I want to know what my life will turn out to be ? Do I want to know the furure ? Do I want to know how and when it all ends ?

No thanks.

Life is what it is because of its impossibility to predict. A constant source of pain it is. But also a contant source of hope.

My life is still kinda rutty right now. There are times when I feel like a rifleman in the trenches of the Somme, being shelled and gassed and machine-gunned and not being able to do anything about it other than digging a hole in the ground and taking cover.

But even then and despite all evidence to the contrary, I feel that things can get better. Of course no one really knows what "better" is but lets not spoil the imagery shall we.

Therefore despite all the apparent advantages of knowing the future, I'd rather not know thank you very much.

No comments: