Sunday, October 10, 2004

Smoke

Once again, I'm pissed off today.

I read these two articles today, here & here. I'm feeling persecuted. There are many things that I can't stand, and one of those things are self-appointed moral guardians.

Lately there's been a spate of increasingly virulent articles in the papers and the news on TV about smoking. Or rather about people who smoke.

This rant isn't about smoking. This rant is about my right to smoke and how some people want to challenge that.

If you believe what you read/watch on TV, then smokers are sick people, are stupid (that's why we need to be "reminded" that smoking causes lung/throat cancer, respiratory diseases, heart problems etc. Like we don't know that...), are inconsiderate, are a menace to society and must be villified and humilated with sweeping, blanket statements.

There's always been awareness drives & campaigns to educate the masses about the smoking habit. This, is fine. People should know. But since smoking isn't illegal (yet) then it's still a choice isn't it ?

So, since when did it become a campaign against the people who choose to smoke ?

I choose to smoke. It's my right. So what if I'll kill myself ? Do I want to quit ? Yes sure. But I"LL DECIDE that. I can just picture it, some "moral guardian" wanna-be beaming proudly saying,"Yes, Mac quit because of me. He owes me his life."

Well, screw you wanna-be. You could say that in my twisted mind I continue to do this to defy people like these. My way of saying Nyehhh *flips middle finger".

Ok smoking is bad. So why does it mean that people who smoke are bad too ? Like we're some kind of deviant ?

You know what ? Cigarrettes are bad for you. And other tobacco products too. So ban them. So easy....

And while you're at it, ban red meat, sodium, msg, fossil fuels, pop music, TV, computers, the Internet, extreme sports, free speech and free thought too. Since they're all bad for you one way or another, ban them all. And if people still insist and indulge in things that are "bad for them", round them up, throw them in concentration camps and machine-gun them all to death. Or throw them in a gas chamber. People who don't conform like sheep, people who want to exercise their rights..who needs em right ?

I'm not defending smoking. It's a terrible and costly habit and if you can, please don't start. But in the end it's up to you. Your money, your life, your body. Whatever.

What I am angry about are people who want to take away my right to choose and for making me look like I'm some kind of freak for not conforming. I DON'T need anyone telling me that smoking causes [insert name of disease here]. I KNOW cigarrette smoke contains [insert name of chemical compound]. I do this because I can and I want to. So leave us alone kay ?

Go and live in your hyperbaric chambers. No one's stopping you.

So moral guardian, have a little respect huh ? If you lecture me again on [insert bad habit here], don't even dare to get upset if I flip you the bird. You're not the only one who has the right be indignant. Just because you feel you're more "concientious" than me doesn't mean you're better.
Villify the issue all you like. But DO NOT make this about people.
Mac out.

No comments: