Thursday, October 14, 2004

Blast From Past

Life is like a box of chocolates.

Actually no, not really since the contents of chocolate boxes are rather predictable. After all, a box of chocolates obviously contain.....well, chocolates. Since life is rather unpredictable, why would it be compared to a box of chocolates, no offense to Mr Gump. Why would anyone call a box a box of chocolates if it DIDN't contain chocolates ?

Okay that was my lame attempt at anology for today. While we sit & recover from that, let me report something that was a good example of how unpredictable things can be. Something happened yesterday. Something totally unexpected, not unlike an artilery barrage where the shells are supersonic and you won't hear them until they hit. And suddenly the entire world is bursting all over you.

What happened was a bit like that, but in a good way. A very very good way.

Back in July & August, I tried tracking down a dear old friend from college. The trail, unfortunately went cold. I got mail from someone who is married to a mutual friend, but that unfortunately didn't pan out either. So I stopped searching.

So yesterday, after more PC housekeeping and digging around my room for my missing C&C Generals Zero Hour CDs (which I found by the way) I went online to chat & surf as per usual. I sign in to YM and what's this ? E-mail. Gee I wonder from who ? Can't say I'm expecting any...

So I check my mail like any other dutiful Internet addict and I got the shock of shockers when I saw the senders name. Could it be a hoax ? I open. I read.

"Someone forwarded me your blog page… I thought I'd write and say hello"

Just when I thought she was gone for good, she found me. I could not believe it. I replied in desperate haste.

And like a follow up infantry rush after the artillery barrage, I got a message over Messenger not 30 seconds later.

We chatted. For hours. And today too. Words fail to describe how good it felt to get in touch with someone from so long ago. Someone who knows me as well as her. Who remembers.

Old friends from the past are priceless. They have insight and knowledge about ourselves that even we ourselves tend to forget. I'm happy to note that while she has advanced her career and settled down (in Washington DC no less), she is pretty much the same chick I hung out with in college.

She was still the ole chatterbox and still really sweet. If we had talked over the phone instead of Yahoo Messenger, I shudder at the thought of the phone bill. We dug up ancient war stories from college (read: campus gossip). We talked about some newer things in our lives (she took up rock climbing !!!). It must've been seven years since we last spoke. So much to catch up on.

And what sense of timing !

Strangely, while we were chatting about things that were totally unrelated to my situation, it brought a sense of closure to all the shit that's been going on with me. She made me realize some important things about self and about life in general. About having faith. About being patient.

And suddenly I felt like taking back some of my earlier posts. Some of it was all wrong in places. But, not I won't take anything down. After all, "Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it". Let all my mistakes, insecurities, hurt & disappointments be displayed here for all to see. Perhaps others can benefit ? Certainly I hope I will.

I still feel giddy. This is a good feeling. Reunions are nice like that.

Have a good night all..

No comments: