Friday, October 29, 2004

Rules for Blogging ?

At work now. Phone constantly ringing...

Early last week, I started a huge download. 8Gbs of Buffy Season 5. As of this morning, it stands at 80% done with 18 hours left. I'm excited. I noticed with great pleasure that the first episode was 100% done. And what good quality DVD rip it was ! I got really nostalgic. If all goes well, I'll start on Season 6 soon. Looks like I have to buy more blank CDs....

I miss Buffy. I wish she was still around. Despite her silly name, she is more relatable to me than many real people. Or maybe I'm just being a typical fan-boy here. Sorry, when it comes to the Buffyverse I am incapable of rational thought.

And talking about that, here's a bit of
sad news concerning Joss Whedon. The man's a genius. I hope he'll come back one day and do well. I'll be watching Serenity when it comes out next year. The man deserves our support.

I'm in the office right now. I don't have much to say since the phone has been ringing constantly and my colleague is on leave. His wife gave birth three days ago. Good for him. Anyway, the ringing phone isn't doing my train of thought any good at all.

I read
here and here about some so-called sins of blogging. I find it very interesting. While I agree in principal about these "sins", there are one or two things I could say.

I find that the actual rules of blogging are defined by the blogger him/herself. Some bloggers no doubt do it for readership. Some others are just curious about it. Still others use it to work out their issues.

As much as I insist that my blogging is totally free flow, there are certain patterns that I adhere to.

One thing, I NEVER plan my entries. This is my 180th entry and the number of preplanned, outlined entries that I have mulled over and made multi-drafts before posting are zero. Up till the present, my total of spontaneous, on the fly entries stand at.... yep you guessed it. 180. I find this to be the most satisfying way to write. Besides if I write based on an outline, my posts will sound like extracts from an elementary Physics textbook. Really. I've tried it.

The second thing is, I like to be prolific. I write as often as I can. Not too often though, saturation isn't a good thing either. I like blogs that are updated on a regular basis. I try to be regular too. If someone reads my blog and likes it because of its regularity, then I would be most pleased.

Do I care about traffic and readership ? Yes and no. Yes, it's nice to know that real people spend their precious time reading my blog. No, I don't write specifically to increase traffic. That was never what this blog was about.

Am I a "successful" blogger ? I'd like to think so. What makes this a success ? It's successful because it suits my purpose just fine.

And I know people read it too, so extra bonus points there.

I'm no Sixth Seal or fubar, but I'm quite happy with my lil' blog.


Edit: Broken link fixed.

No comments: