Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Nothing Deep Here

I watched Constantine yesterday night. It was good. I liked it alot. I might even watch it again, Keanu Reeves notwithstanding.

He's not exactly a personal favourite. There are many others better looking and better actors than him who aren't as high up in the A list. Like David Boreanaz. I didn't like him at first either, but that was just petty jealousy. I think he would've made an excellent John Constantine, as long as he doesn't use his crap Angel Irish accent.

Despite some rude comments on some forums, Constantine is good. I'm not sure how close it is to the comic though. I haven't read any of it. I do know that John Constantine is supposed to be a scouser, that's one thing.

Personally it would've been more interesting and darker if Constantine was set in England.

Another plus for this movie is Rachel Weisz. She's cool. I like her. A funny thing happened while I watched the movie. I actually forgot who Rachel was. The whole time I was wracking my brain going "Who the hell is she ? She looks SO familiar..." Rachel is a better actor than Keanu, definitely.

I'm getting old.

Another note on Constantine, brush up on your Catholic Christian general knowledge to get max value. It also helps to know what the Spear of Destiny is.

On the whole, I like this movie. A good story with some genuinely frightening moments. Go and watch.

I suddenly thought how great would it be if they made a Buffy movie and made the demons look like they did in Constantine. That would rock. I would pay good money to see a dark Buffy movie. Demonic, gothic dark, not bonking-Spike-Season-6 dark.

Personally I think if they did make a Buffy movie, the big bad should be a vampire again. Good to go back to basics. And even better if Amy Acker comes back as Illyria ! Oh yes !!

I have another thought. I'm trying to download Buffy Season 7 now and when I'm done, I want to make a Top 10 Buffyverse fight scene anthology. Yes, ten of the best fights in Buffy.

Part of what makes Buffy so great to watch are the fight scenes. I haven't finalized what the final ten would be and how to rank them, but it would definitely include:-

Buffy vs Faith - Season 3, Ep. 55, Graduation Day Part 1 - Slayer showdown. Fight to the death. Buffy stabs Faith with a large, ornate knife. Who can resist ?
Buffy vs Faith - Season 4, Ep. 71, This Year's Girl - They almost completely destroy Buffy's house while fighting. The most vicious fight in the history of the show. I love it.
Buffy vs nine vampires - Season 5, Ep. 88, Into the Woods - She takes them all out within 15 seconds.
Angel vs Riley - Season 4, Ep. 76, The Yoko Factor - Two boys fight over a girl. Dumb, but fun to watch.
Buffy vs Angel - Season 2, Ep. 33, Becoming Pt 2 - Swords !
Buffy vs Caleb - Season 7, Ep. 143, End of Days
Buffy vs M'Fashnik demon - Season 6, Ep. 104, Flooded - Well shot and well choreographed. And Buffy is wearing a long skirt.
Buffy vs Sunday - Season 4, Ep. 57, The Freshman

So far those fights stand out. They are cool.

I'm bored again. It's obvious isn't it.

And talking about downloading, I find myself suddenly needing to know how to read Spanish, Danish and German. Why ?

All the English language torrent sites are getting shut down. So now I need to get my stuff off non-US based sites. Happily enough, I happen to know a smidgen of German and Spanish. Still, any excuse is a good excuse to learn a foreign language right ?

In other news, despite the somewhat weepy post-Valentine's Day entry, I'm ok. Sometimes these thought come back but I know that and I'm ready to deal when it does. I'm taking a break from the whole thing. Not in a good state of mind to (attempt to) start a relationship. Or for that matter, even new platonic relationships with women. It's still too hard to accept when it doesn't work out. I guess I'm still a little raw inside.

So far, things are ok. A little dull, but ok.

Currently Listening to Wasted Goldfinger Disconnection Notice

No comments: