Saturday, February 05, 2005

In the News

I got off work early this morning and took a glorious photo of the sky. It was after sunrise and there were clouds blocking the sun. I could see streaks of light coming from the edges of the cloud formation. I'd post that pic here.

Except I forgot to bring my camera.

I'm pretty absent minded right now. Last night at work, I was supposed to delay something for a few hours. I remember that I was supposed to do that during the Friday night shift. Which is fine, except that until I received a call from our US office asking me about it, I thought yesterday was Thursday. Oooopss! Cue one sheepish apologetic e-mail sent to lots of people.

So before I forget, I would like to share some stuff I read in the paper recently.

I like to read the paper. I like opinion/editorial columns and letters from the public most of all. I also like reading foreign newspapers. Not the physical paper since I don't think the New York Times, the LA Times and the Santa Rosa Press Democrat deliver to Kuching.

Anyway, it's good to know what's going on in other faraway places. The one thing I learn from all of that is that people are fundamentally the same everywhere. Really they are.

Ok, there's this exciting news about the discovery of Kota Gelanggi. According to some, it predates the Malacca Sultanate. According to others, it might as old as a thousand years old, predating even the Lembah Bujang site in Kedah. Discovering something new is exciting. But rediscovering something old is maybe even more exciting. To me for sure, probably due to a childhood fascination with archeology.

Which reminds me, I don't really know all that much about local history now that I think about it.

But isn't this exciting ? Even in this day and age, there are things out there in the jungle that still need to be found. All those ruins and artefacts and relics, imagine the stories they could tell.

I for one, will be following the ongoing tale of Kota Gelanggi very closely. I'm betting they'll find heavy Hindu/Buddhist influences.

In other news, the blog pirate saga is over. The offending blog has been shut down. The blog pirate in question had some real major issues, probably attention related. Very obvious if you read her "interests" in the sidebar.

Impersonating people ? Does she not know the potential for trouble this interest of hers might have ? What if she messed up someone else's life badly enough to incur a potentially violent reaction ? Who's fault would it be if she got hurt ?

Why was she like that ? It was almost as if she enjoyed getting negative attention. Even worse, she appeared to like knowing that what she was doing was getting on people's nerve.

Suddenly, I'm curious about what she's going to do now.

No comments: