Monday, February 02, 2004

Too Much Talent Can Actually Ruin Your Career

Not much to write about now. It’s 1.00am and I’m sitting at my desk at the factory. All the backups have run and now I just have to do some housekeeping.

I have a story. Last night I was hanging with my buds and I told them again about something that happened to a friend of mine.

Now, this friend and me, we both follow Buffy the Vampire Slayer and both of us are big Sarah Michele Gellar fans. We kept this up for a while when he suddenly stopped. In fact he refused to watch anything that had SMG in it. That was back in 1998-99 I think.

I went drinking with him a couple of months ago and he actually asked me what’s been going on in the Buffyverse. He caught a glimpse of one of the episodes where Tara and Willow were in bed (that was a Season 6 episode) and was genuinely surprised. I thought he was kidding. So I got to explaining what had been happening in the last 5 years or so in the Buffyverse and later I asked him why he stopped watching Buffy. He said two words.

Cruel Intentions.

Now that was a great movie and I thought SMG rocked in it. My friend thought so too. In fact SMG’s performance affected him so much, he ended up hating her because she was “a bitch” (his words, not mine). And he was serious about this too. I found that so amusing.

Poor Sarah. Talk about being a victim of your own success. I’m really looking forward to Scooby-Doo 2. And Juo..err The Grudge I mean. I saw the Japanese one and yeah it was a creep fest. A bit confusing though. But creepy. It’ll be interesting to see if the English version of the movie will be as effective. And of course whether Sarah’s character dies (again).

Funny how on TV Buffy never gets killed (okay she died twice, but she came back..) and her characters in her horror movies end up dead. Maybe she’s trying to do a balance thing, you know like how some people, if they bump their right foot into something they have to kick it with their left foot, just for balance (I saw this on a Channel V interview, I don’t do this).

To be honest I’ve got a case of writer’s block right now, thinking up witty stuff to write is kicking my ass. Hmmm.. maybe I should step out for a smoke…

mac

No comments: