Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Buffyesque - Restlessly Hushed

What a weekend.

Fixed a bunch of computers (extra money !), learnt how to convert mpeg, AVI & DivX video files to VCD 2.0 compatible format (so that you can watch all your downloaded videos using your regular DVD/VCD player, thanks to Marty for the tip !) and bought the Buffy Season 4 DVD Boxed Set. What fun !!

I got the boxed set on Saturday afternoon. I popped in Disc 1 at about 4.00pm while I finished with the computer repairs and stopped at 11.00pm. Would have continued if my dad didn't insist on watching TV. I finished off the rest of the set the next day (I started at 4.00. In the morning). One & the half days to watch 22 episodes plus special features. Yes, I'm a Buffyholic and I need help.

Actually I wanted to talk about why that show is so compelling, but that's such a long story (also, i'm feeling really lazy right now). Anyways, I'll just make a list of all the good stuff from Season Four.

A lot of people don't like season 4. Many say that this season was weak. I disagree. This was a season of change for all the major players. Buffy's in college and feeling completely lost. Willow is suddenly cool and looks much hotter. Giles is jobless and drifting around aimlessly. Xander lives in his mom's basement and gets sucky jobs. Spike gets a chip planted in his head and can't hurt humans anymore. All this and what do we have ? That's right, more hijinks and hilarious dialogue (the show's strongest point). This whole season was about change and adjustment.

Top 5 Season 4 Episodes
(in no particular order)

Hush (Episode 10) -
A new evil comes to Sunnydale and steals everyone's voices. This episode has no dialogue for more than 30 minutes. If you want to see acting skills and effective use of score, watch this.

Restless (Episode 22) -
Best. Dream Sequence. Ever made for TV. Surreal and trippy. Clever use of music also evident here. Watch out for the Apocalyse Now scene with Xander and Principal Snyder. Awesome !!

This Year's Girl/Who Are You (Episode 15 & 16 Two-parter).
Faith wakes up from her coma and seeks revenge. The second episode features a body swap with Sarah Michelle Gellar playing Faith & Eliza Dushku playing Buffy. Watch these two episodes for more stellar acting and the most vicious fight sequence of season 4 (and possibly of the entire show).

Wild at Heart (Episode 6) -
Oz meets Veruca and discovers that she is also a werewolf. This episode features the most emotional moment of Season 4. Honestly it just tears me up to see Willow cry (*sob*).

Something Blue (Episode 9) -
Wanting to cure her broken heart, Willow casts a spell so that her will be done. Of course, the spell goes horribly wrong. This episode's just hilarious. Just go and watch it.

My personal favourite of the bunch is Wild at Heart. It's just so sad (*sniffle*).

I also wanted to make a list of the top 10 most newbie friendly episodes of Buffy so that non-fans can see why Buffy the Vampire Slayer is such a cool show. But I guess that's for another post :). I'm just too lazy at the moment.

Happy viewing.

No comments: