Saturday, February 14, 2004

Kopitiam

Hey Valentine's Day. I nearly forgot. I also forgot that yesterday was Friday the 13th. I have a question. What if the bad things that are supposed to happen on Friday the 13th really could happen, would it still happen to you if you forgot that it was Friday the 13th ?

I was out last night. Nothing special, just hanging out with my buds at the old Open Air Market, drinking tea and talking trash till late. Ah the joy of local eating places. And coffee shops !

Kuching coffee shops. Without coffee shops, life in Kuching would suck. I mean if I don't hang at a *coffee shop or kopitiam as we call it here, what would I do ? It's not like there's that many choices here anyway.

When bored and needing to unwind, there's nothing quite like a visit to a kopitiam to meet up with friends. Sure, sure I could go other places like a karaoke bar or something similar, but really, has anyone ever been to a karaoke or a bar with more atmosphere than a kopitiam ? Of course not.

The Kopitiam is a very, very important place. It's not only where food and drink are consumed, it's also where thoughts and ideas are exchanged. It's a vital cog in the machinery of socialness that we take for granted. Imagine, how many business deals are discussed and settled at a lowly kopitiam. How many relationships have started/ended at the very same place. And how many insane ideas have been conjured up while drinking coke (medium size) at said place. And countless other stuff have been derived from many a heated discussion held at at the kopitiam I'm sure. Without it, Kuching would be as dour and as dull as a tablelamp.

In Malaysia in general and Kuching in particular, hanging out at a kopitiam is essential. It is a social engagement not to be taken lightly :).

Props to kopitiam operators ! Without you people, we would be even more bored than we are now.

Happy Valentine's Day. I'm off to get some teh-o peng at the kopitiam downstairs.

*I'm using the term kopitiam to also include food courts and other similar places.

No comments: