Thursday, February 12, 2004

Blog Therapy

It's 6.00am and I'm going off for three days. Yay for me !! Damn, I'm so exhausted, I've been working nights for three consecutive weeks now. Believe me it's hard. Looking forward to returning to land of the living (i.e day shift) next week.

I suddenly had a thought.

Why on earth did I start blogging ? Me, writing (typing actually) on a regular basis about stuff that I sometimes don't even want to talk about. Me, procrastinator extraodinaire, the laziest asshole on the planet, especially when it comes to using my brain and writing down thoughts.

I don't know why I started blogging, but I can definitely tell you what it's done to me. Before this, I wouldn't be able to write anything at all without it sounding like a foreword for a Physics textbook. Nowadays, I just free-associate. It's so liberating. Writing without any structure or framework or any of those technical things that my college English lecturer harped about. And you know what ? I think it's more expresive that way. It's more "live" someways, like talking.

Another thing, it's therapeutic. At the end of shift (like right now), I'd log in and just tap away. A lot of times, I feel a bit gloomy or upset or disgruntled. I log in, I write whatever, I preview, I post and voila ! The bad feelings are gone !! I should've done something like this when I was getting dumped why all those women all those years ago.

It's great that something so simple and so straightforward as writing nonsense can have such a calming effect. Also, being a part of a community helps a lot too. And of course, the possiblity that somewhere someone is reading your blog entry for the day and finding it useful. I can tell you right now I have read some killer blog posts about stuff that really matter or stuff that I can relate to personally. Makes you realize that there are like-minded people in the world and we're not absolutely alone. There are some pretty good writers out there.

Thanks to all those bloggers out there for making the net an interesting (& sane) place again.

Gotta Run. See ya !

No comments: