Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Best New Artist

I'm quite pleased to note that Evanescence won the Best New Artist award at this year's Grammies.

I think this band is awesome, what with they're unique sound and Gothic vibe, even if they say they're not Gothic. It's too bad that Ben Moody left. I wonder how that would affect the Evanescence's overall sound. The replacement guitarist is pretty good though (used to play fo Cold) so I'm not too worried.

I also just got My Immortal (Band Version) of the Evanescence website. Excellent re-recording. The guitar solo towards the end of the song really makes it that much more melancholic.

I love music. All kinds, although I have quite a bit of trouble getting used to contemporary R n B & Hip Hop. I mean sure, some of Beyonce's stuff is good and Hey Ya is a really cool track (love the video, it's just hilarious) but for the most part, hip hop & r n b just doesn't do anything to me.

Nowadays I usually just listen to music with lots of guitar work in it like John Mayer, Michelle Branch (she rocks !!; hope she wins an award at this year's MTV Asia Awards, though I seriously doubt it) and of course, Evanescence. I also love a good dose of hard rock, alternative rock and punk/pop punk. I feel that guitar based music is more honest and more relatable to me, also since I'm a (mediocre) guitarist myself.

It's a damned shame I had to work last night. I had wanted to watch the Grammies. Award shows are fun, provided that they don't cut too much out of it. The next one is the MTV Asia Awards on Valentine's Day. I really hope Michelle Branch wins her category. I think the kid's got a bright future and I would dearly love it if I could sit with her by a burger stall, pull out my acoustic and jam with her. That would be so much fun.

I'm also wondering who won the MTV Screen The School of Rock competition. Usually I don't bother with those comps but last week the prize was so compelling I had to try. The grand prize is a Gibson SG guitar signed by Jack Black. A real-for-deal Gibson SG. What sickens me about this is with my luck, that guitar would probably be won by some kid in his teens who doesn't play guitar. Picture it, a Gibson SG (which is worth thousands of ringgit) sitting in a corner of a room not being played.

What a waste !! I really hope I win. That would so make my day/week/month.

Have a nice day. Ciao.

No comments: