Wednesday, December 15, 2004

What's the Time ?

Streamyx is back online at the house.

Now, we've heard many horror stories about inept tech support haven't we ? I'm rather pleased to report that in my case this week, this story has a happy ending.

I made the call to Helpdesk on Monday. The guy I spoke to had the thickest Indian accent that compelled me to ask him to slow down a bit, but he was polite, didn't make any lame excuses, didn't put me on hold longer than neccessary and asked the right questions. That very same day at about 4.30pm, a technician called me at home. Once again, this one was business-like, efficient and asked the right questions. He was also familiar with my case history. I asked him what was the actual problem and he told me without sparing any technical info. He said it might take a day or so. I didn't mind.

This evening, I woke up at 5.30pm to the sound of my brother playing an online Yahoo game. So, well done Streamyx Tech Support. That's the way to do it.

And so now I'm at work, waiting for the time to pass before I go home and do stuff like update my blog template. Which has been neglected for way too long.

Time is all about perception isn't it ? Seconds crawl and years fly by.

I sometimes wish I wasn't so aware of the passing of time. This is why I don't wear a watch. I haven't in many years.

If i wear a watch, I'm constantly reminded of the time. Being watch-less isn't as troublesome as some might think. I have a cell phone and like most cell phones, it has a clock built into it. So, if I need to know the time I look at my cell phone. This means I only know the time when I need to know.

Being constantly reminded of the time can be stressful. To me anyway. Being so aware of time makes it seem slow when you're anticipating something and makes it seem fast when you're enjoying something.

I do know some people who would be totally lost without their temporal measuring devices. Usually people with regimented schedules. Which is another source of stress for me. I don't like being confined to a schedule.

Remember when things we were simpler when we were younger ? I think part of the younger = simpler equation is time. Or rather awareness of. Time means less to a child than it would to an adult. A kid rarely has to worry about being late for something or wonder how long it would take to commute from point A to point B.

Or maybe I think too much....

In other news.... not much else is happening. I can't wait for this year to end. Not that it was a bad year. It's just that I'm bored of 2004. I need a change. Fast.

Sure, it's technically meaningless since the 3rd of January may be exactly the same as 3rd of December. Come January I'll be my same bored self, I'll still be working here and I'll probably still be single. Everything will probably be exactly the same. Except the date and time. It's nice to have an ending and a beginning with all its symbolism. Even if it is technically meaningless. As the cynic would say,"Nothing changes on New Years' Day". Probably, but it's important for me personally to begin again.

Can you imagine how dull (and not to mention confusing) everything would be if the days and months never change ?

No comments: