Wednesday, December 22, 2004

People are Strange Pt 2

There's a lot of news floating around recently. About people and behaviour that I personally can't understand.

For instance, the big hooha about Christmas being offensive to non-Christians. Huh ? And this is a global thing too apparently. It happens here and also happens in the US. (Thanks to Lucia for the later link).

Now tell me, how is a religious festival offensive exactly ? And why Christmas ? Are Christian people SO bad that anything they do is offensive ?

Ok, I'll be the first person to tell you that yes, some hardcore ultra-right Christians are absolutely the most intolerant, most judgemental people on this side of the Milky Way. I should know, being a practising Christian myself. I've seen it and I've heard of all the excuses why they have to behave like that.

But be fair please. The same thing can be said about Islamo-fascists, militant Hindus, ultra-conservative Jews and any other religion. And yes, the very same thing can be said about ultra-left atheists, freethinkers and agnostics. The point is the same - "Other people don't have the same beliefsas we do so they do not have the right to practise what they believe".

But just because SOME of us behave like that does it mean that ALL of us are like that ? Think rationally please. It doesn't add up right ? And yet SO many people jump on the bandwagon.

There are people who say that if a Christian hymn is sung in public or a banner says Merry Christmas instead of some politically correct seasonal greeting, it implies that Christians are trying to "impose" their beliefs on others.

Now tell me people, do you REALLY think that makes sense ? Yep, sounded like a pile of steaming crap to me too.

The problem again is people missing the point totally.

When you watch a lion dance during Chinese New Year and you are offended by it, where's the problem ? When you hear a call to prayer early morning during Hari Raya (Eid el-Fitr), where's the problem ? When you see kids trick-or-treating during Halloween and are offended by it, where's the problem ? When you see a Kavadi procession going up Batu Caves and you find it offensive, where's the problem ?

That's right you intolerant bigot, YOU are the problem here. Not them. You.

Some people have issues and hijack other issues to legitimize and justify their hatred and intolerance. Personally, I don't understand what the problem is. I don't get it. Why is it so important for some to put down others ? When did religion and tradition become a competitive sport ?

If you feel offended by a religious festival celebrated by many people, I have a tip for you. SUCK IT UP and GET OVER IT.

Honestly though, I don't think this "problem" is so bad. Most people actually have brains and know how to use it. At least in my case, my friends who are not Christians are clever enough to know that just because I have a huge crucifix in my house and celebrate Christmas doesn't mean that I want them to convert. Likewise, I'm aware enough when I go to my friends house to visit them during Hari Raya or Chinese New Year it doesn't mean that they are imposing their beliefs on me in any way.

Do you know what the real danger is ? There are always racists and bigots around, and unfortunately some of them sit in pretty high places. We have to watch out for that.

And so with that, I wish you all A Very Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year. And if you find that offensive in any way, then God help you.

Edit : Here's yet another article. *shakes head*

No comments: