Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Miscellaneous Miscellany Pt III

I've been skipping lunch. I have no idea why. No, wait I do know why. Cafeteria food sucks ass. The "food" they serve here sometimes can be well & truly horrendous. Or maybe I'm just spoilt.

Ok, now that we got that out of the way I can talk about other things. I don't know exactly what yet. This is going to be yet another one of those rambly posts that I do just because. It's good to do things just for the sake of doing them. There's much less pressure and the so-called outcome doesn't really matter. The outcome is the source of the pressure isn't it ?

How dull would it be if we couldn't do things just for the hell of it ?

It was blazing hot today. But that's just temporary since we're smack dab in the middle of the monsoon season. Pretty soon the rains will get more frequent and I can expect Bladerunner style endless rain in about mid-January. Most of the time I do enjoy long periods of rain. Of course, the flooding that usually comes with it isn't something to be excited about though.

One of the drawbacks of living in an area that used to be a mangrove swamp.

Today was a pretty good day. Got plenty of work done. The hormones are at bay and there are no bad vibes at all. And still Christmas draws nearer. I expect to hear Christmas songs in malls any minute now, if they haven't started already. I haven't been to a mall in a long time. Which is strange for someone who used to practically live in malls before now.

I'm getting extremely domesticated. You know you're old when getting out of the house is suddenly such a chore. It's so difficult for me to get myself out of the house now, especially in daylight with the heat, humidity, the dust, the traffic and hordes of strange people running about like insects. To think that I thought nothing of standing in a bus for 45 minutes with 40 other people in my school uniform at 1.00pm on a Monday afternoon. Just to go to a mall and do absolutely nothing.

I'm suddenly grateful I don't live in KL. There, it's hotter, more humid and way dustier with worse traffic and even more strange people.

KL is a cool place. For a holliday. But work ? I wouldn't. Some people do go and make it over there, which is nice. Many of my friends and some relatives are there. But I find KL way too harsh and impersonal. I need a more languid place to chill. Like here.

I don't hate KL. I spent a good portion of my life there, walking the crowded streets and breathing the polluted air. Made some really good friends and great memories.

I suddenly remember a story. Some friends of mine hooked up with a bunch of girls from Miri. So they came down here to visit. And immediately one of them complained,"Oh, Kuching is so lame. The nightlife is so dull. The clubs aren't happening and there's no trendy, cool places to go to."

Well, I could write about obnoxious women but frankly I'd like to stop thinking about things like that for a while. I could tell you a little about Kuching though.

If you're looking for exciting nightlife, for a roaring good time, gallivanting, wassailing and carousing the night away in clubs, discotheques and rave joints while mingling with "famous" socialites, DON'T come here.

If you're looking to visit a metropolis with a million places to visit and explore, with millions of inhabitants with broad thorough-fares, megamalls with a million shopping opportunities and giant skyscrapers, DON'T come here.

If you're looking for a quaint, languid place to slow down and get away you will like it here. If you want peace and quiet, you'll find it here.

If you want to sit and watch the rest of the world rush by while drinking a beverage on the banks of the Sarawak River, please feel free and join us.

Have a good day.

No comments: