Thursday, December 30, 2004

Animal Instinct ?

The toll for Boxing Day's tidal waves are now stand at 77,000. And still counting.

In my books, this event has been upgraded from "cataclysmic" to "apocalyptic". For many communities, it was an apocalypse. I've read all over the Net about how some remote settlements and villages in places like the west coast of Sumatra and Sri Langka have been totally erased. No buildings, no survivors, just rubble and corpses.

Such is nature's power. Makes you think doesn't it ?

And for some, one thing that will emerge from all this is a healthy respect and awe for our lowly, much maligned, much neglected, much hunted animal friends. We all know the human toll. But apparently in Yala National Park in Sri Langka, overflights suggest that the local animal population did not suffer significant losses. In fact, evidence suggests that they knew what was coming and fled inland wholesale.

I'm not surprised at all. I have seen and read enough to believe that animals can sense things like earthquakes. I think all animals have it. Except humans apparently.

Anyone who keeps dogs at home will tell you that animals see and hear and feel things we can't. Which is one reason why dogs make excellent sentries (like ours, my house has never ever been broken in to, touch wood) and mine sweepers. But I'm digressing here.

Thus ends today's installment of Interesting Fact of the Day.

In other happenings, my New Years' Eve get-together is still a go. Perhaps it will be a bit less rambunctious than it might have been considering the circumstances, but I for one am determine to get moving and live normally. Still, I think I'll not be wallowing about in the surf this time around. Yes it will be at the beach.

Do to my unexpected two extra days of work, I had to rearrange a few things. I went to a friend's house yesterday to pass cash to buy stuff. I have to go and pick up my nice looking frameless glasses tomorrow and rush home to get ready.

And another good thing happening is the Bloggers' meet tonight. I hope people come. It'll be nice to meet up with them again.

And yesterday evening, I looked up at the sky and it was a gorgeous day. I wish I had a camera. Talking about the camera, there's a problem with my credit card application. It's been delayed due to a "problem". So no camera anytime soon.

It's time to go and do some work now. More later.

No comments: