Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas Night

...or rather, Christmas morning.

I was supposed to attend a 9.30pm mass just now. But I didn't. Last night, I went out and came home at about 4.30am.

I also went out shopping. I had all these things that I wanted to buy, but in the end I bought two pairs of jeans. Which I really needed anyway. This is why people make lists before they go shopping, I guess.

I'm on a long break right now. I'm relieved. It's been a busy month work-wise and I was thoroughly sick of it on my last day at work a few days ago.

As you may notice, unlike earlier posts this one doesn't really have a point in it. Which is fine.

So, today is Christmas Day. I hope to visit a few friends today. If I can get a hold of the car. My dad's ride is still busted, so my parents are using mine.

I felt like ranting today. I read a piece from MGG Pillai's website today. Sometimes I disagree with the man, he strikes me as someone who can be callously insensitive sometimes. But other times I agree with him, particularly on social issues.

I don't want to go into details but I'm grateful I live in Sarawak instead of the Peninsular. Why ? Cut a long story short, East Malaysians as a rule are far more tolerant especially with regard to race and religion. This is not a stereotype I dug up from some magazine. This is based on personal experience too.

But I choose to look at the positives. In this country, there's enough moderates around. People who are willing to live alongside others without the pathological need to impose themselves. They don't make the news. But they're there.

That is why Malaysia will never be a theocracy, despite the fact that they are quite prominent public figures who want this. The so-called silent majority will never allow this to happen.

Things are not as fair as it could be, but things are not as bad either. Perhaps in time, this will change ? Seriously though, it would take a long, long time. Habits are hard to change.

Enough of that. Today is Christmas. It is a day of hope, peace and goodwill between all people. Let us dwell on these things instead.

Merry Christmas and God bless us all.

No comments: