Sunday, May 29, 2005

Live Music



Earlier this evening, I went to watch Sarawak Symphony Orchestra's production of "Trial by Jury". It was highly entertaining. This was the first time I've been to a live musical production.

Such is my luck, living in this ah beng infested cultural wasteland that is Kuching.

It was better than I expected. Midway, there was some slightly glitchy sound but that wasn't the fault of anyone but the sound man.

I had forgotten how wonderful it is to hear a good choir sing, and this despite having been in two different choirs back in school. The harmonies are breathtaking. The play itself was unlike anything I've ever seen. It was excellent.

If my job had a more normal schedule, I would like to ask how to get in the choir. It would be great to be in a choir again.

Recorded sound and music is good by itself, but there's something magical about a live performance whatever it might be. Even a jam session by a crappy band can sound good if the players have the right attitude. I remember back in school, aside from the choir I was also in a band, as well as filling in when school mates go for their spontaneous jam sessions. Especially when they needed a drummer. I haven't played in so long, I think I may have forgotten how.

And playing live in front of an audience ? Nerve wracking, but exhilirating at the same time. Totally indescribable.

Someone asked me before, if I had to choose, would I rather be blind or deaf ? I would rather be blind. As bad as a dark world is, a world without music is much, much worse. Music is life, after all.

Later the whole bunch of us went to have dinner and somewhere along the line my blogging frequency came up again.

The truth is, I'm still finding it difficult to post presently. Last night, I did feel like posting but I was suddenly feeling low so I decided to skip it and go to sleep instead.

I trying to avoid thinking too much and posting when my mood is bad nowadays. The thing about low moods is that they don't last. And I no longer wish to be defined by my low cycles.

I'm the type who likes to babble when I'm depressed. This has not served me in a good way.

Most definitely, if I feel crappy I would post. After all, as I keep mentioning this blog came about because of that. But only if my angst was real and not a case of cyclic melancholy.

Like tonight, I'm not feeling so good actually. But I'll be fine in the morning, I know this. No time to think about my life. I think I'll do that when I'm more rational.

And to anyone else who's feeling crappy right now, go get some rest. Perhaps your head will clear up in the morning.

Have a good night.

No comments: