Friday, November 19, 2004

Traipsing Down Memory Lane (Again)

"Do I Hate You?

No, I Don't Think So
Words Don't Describe What My Feelings Know
Do I Hate You?
No, and I Refuse to Go
Down to Your Level Just to Feed My Ego
Do I Hate You?
Yes, I Got it off My Chest
I Hate You for Making Me Regress"
- H8 Red, Anthrax, Persistence of Time

...and what better way to do it than with the sounds of
Anthrax's Persistence of Time roaring in the background.

I've just downloaded 11 COMPLETE Anthrax albums, all of which are no longer available in Malaysia (I've tried looking). They are (album title; release date) :-
  • Fistful of Metal - Jan 1984
  • Armed & Dangerous - Feb 1985
  • Spreading the Disease - October 1985
  • Among the Living - March 1987
  • State of Euphoria - Sep 1988
  • Persistence of Time - August 1990
  • Attack of the Killer B's - June 1991
  • Sound of White Noise - May 1993
  • Live : The Island Years - April 1994
  • Stomp 442 - October 1995
  • Return of the Killer A's - November 1999
The ones that I remember with the highest degree of fondness are State of Euphoria & Persistence of Time, which was the first Anthrax album I bought.

I tend to be very fond of anything that has to do with the years 1989-1990. I was 17. That was my last year in secondary school. I discovered extreme forms of heavy metal in a big way. I was in trouble with religious people for listening to "the devil's music". I fell in with the so-called "bad" crowd, which was not bad at all I found it. In fact, to my surprise my new disenfranchised metal friends were more accepting of me than the so-called "good" people. I wonder why....

I played two instruments in at least two bands. We jammed every week, despite being perpetually broke.

Despite all that and problems at home which I'd rather not talk about, I was an ace student. And a prefect. I met many, many fabulous women and became friends with at least half of them (the other half were not single and/or too stuck up). Life was simple and many things were still black & white, or at least they appeared to be.

The vibe I feel as I write this is identical to the vibes I felt back then. Ahh nostalgia. Good for the soul no ? I think so.

All these memories, swirling around in my head. Those were the best of times, those were the worst of times.

Damn I'm old.

Now if I could go to back 1990 again, would I do it any differently ? Honestly I wouldn't know. What would you do if you could go back in time with what you know now ?

Currently Listening to "H8 Red" Anthrax Persistence of Time

Edit: I'm listening to songs from the State of Euphoria album and I'm amazed at how relevant the lyrics still are even today, 16 years down the line.

No comments: