Friday, November 26, 2004

Single

It's Official. Need For Speed Underground 2 is Evil. I've been playing it non-stop for almost two days. Streamyx is Evil too. Internet access used to be my usual excuse for stepping out of the house for a few hours.

I must get out of the house and away from the computer tomorrow. The fact that my driver's license is going to expire may help motivate me. Notice the use of the word "may".

Gosh, I've been so lazy lately. The unfortunate side-effect of my year end nostalgia-melancholy-reclusive-warm-fuzziness-fest.

I read a really good post on Sativa's blog. It got even better once the comments started to roll in. Something about being single at a certain age.

Society has many unwritten rules like that doesn't it ? One of them being females must be married by 30. To a lesser extent this applies to men too although the threshold is a bit more flexible. An older single male will tend to get labeled dirty old man if he's not married at a certain age, true ?

Let's ask a question. Which is more disastrous in society, the number of single women over thirty or the number of broken mariages ?

That reminds me, I've often been accused of being "fussy" about a partner. I bet many of my still single friends get this a lot too. Especially the women.

Let's ask another question. Define "fussy". How about the so-called non-fussy people ? Let's ask yet another question. Would you marry any stranger just to prove that you're not fussy ? I hear this "fussy" term bandied around a lot. I bet people who accuse people of being fussy don't know what they mean by that.

I agree, some people may have highly unrealistic expectations regarding life partners. If so, they need to reevaluate and ground themselves in reality. That's a personal thing so not much can be said about that.

I'm 31 and still single. To be honest, I'd rather not be single. But I've not had any luck whatsoever. Neither am I ready yet for such a thing as marriage. Okay, maybe people can say I should just settle for whatever's available. That sounds like a bunch of crock to me. I cannot imagine myself being stuck in a fake marriage just to have babies and satisfy a so-called societal requirement.

If I can't have the relationship that I want then I'd rather be single. It's better for everyone.

People can remain single because they want to be. They can also be single because they haven't found anyone yet. Or sometimes, because they haven't been found yet. It's hardly a question of being "fussy".

To me, being single can be a problem if you don't want to be single in the first place. Being single and being contented with you being single is not. Depends on the motivation.

One last question. Which is worse, being single and being ok with it or being married and regretting it for the rest of your life ?

Marriage is a big deal. Don't do it for the wrong reasons. Don't take it lightly. Could prove fatal.

Currently Listening to "Madhouse" Anthrax Spreading the Disease

No comments: