Saturday, July 10, 2004

Timeout with Me

I'm going out tonight. By myself.

There's a kind of stigma about going out by yourself, isn't there ? Especially on Saturday night. I was inclined to think that this is true in Kuching, then I thought about it some more and I think this is probably true everywhere. By default, society seems to think that going out by yourself is strange.

I had a conversation with a colleague about this a few months back. I told him that among other things, I've gone to the movies alone, went to the mall alone, had lunch/dinner alone, went to clubs alone, a whole lot of stuff alone. My colleague said that he would rather vegetate at home than go out for any reason alone. If there's nobody to accompany him, he'll actually bring his mom. Now, that is weird to me. The same way that going out alone is weird to my colleague (and to a lots of people I know). See, we all got our idiosyncrasies. Not that it's a bad thing to bring your mom along to go the mall and shop or go to catch a movie. But can you imagine me going to a club with Mom ? Can you say "scary visual place"?

I'm a loner by nature. I like to hang with company af course (after all I did post about the fact that humans are pack animals), but there are times that I want to do things by myself. Like tonight.

I did get a call earlier from a friend. He proposed that we meet somewhere and we could hang. So far he hasn't called yet so I assume that the plan's off. But I'm going anyway. Maybe to a club and get me a nice mug of guinness before bedtime, which will be early tonight since I'm working tomorrow. Have to make like Cinderella and be home by midnite or else my car will turn into a pumpkin or a chilli pepper or some other vegetable/fruit.

In other news, Susan (my-ex) went to get a medical check up on Friday. She's been having trouble sleeping, so she's having herself check out at the GH for any potential. She should, since she's not been able to sleep properly since two months ago. I hope she'll be okay.

And yet more news, I'm finally a member of The Ricebowl Journals Society. I'm pleased. There's some kick-ass blogs on there people. Check it out.

I think I'll go and grab that mug of guinness now. Have a nice weekend.

And to all those people who commented the last few entries, thanks !! I owe you guys drinks.

No comments: