Saturday, July 31, 2004

Absence of Light

I'm actually having trouble posting. Not because I have nothing to write (I do actually), but I don't really have time. Or I wouldn't if I didn't postpone things just so I could post.

Like right now, I'm supposed to go and pick Susan up. And yesterday, my friends and I went to karaoke for a farewell sing-song for someone who was going away to Miri on Sunday. People leaving, lots of that going on now. Am I in danger of getting a life ? Naaahh...

Since I'm in a rush, I'm not going to be overly verbal today, despite the fact that I do so want to ramble today. Got a lot on the mind.

I've been reading Daniel's blog. If you read Miss Cayce you'll know that he is Cayce's friend and not local in origin. Anyway, it's always so eye-opening to hear/read a foreigners account on things local, be it the rain forest or the local lifestyle or people, languages etc. Often I'll hear/read things in these accounts that I never think about before or take for granted. Very enlightening.

Whilst reading Daniel's rain forest walkabout, I recall something that I noticed when I was in a longhouse a few years ago (no, I'm not talking about leeches). Something that you'd think should be familiar but infact when I noticed it, was completely new.

That thing was total darkness.

I went to Sg. Klampai a few years ago. It's a long house near Saratok. I don't come from there. I went with friends.

Being without electricty, we had to use lanterns and candles in the evening. We ate, we chatted and joked. It was great, always cool to go to places far from home. So the time came for lights out and to go to sleep. We said our goodnights and out went the lights. And boy did they go out....

In the city, towns, suburbs and other places with electricity, there will always be some kind of light source however small. Streetlights, cars, nightlights. That night in Sg. Klampai, the darkness was TOTAL. No stars because of the overcast weather, and new moon. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face.

Have I mentioned I used to be afraid of the dark ? I found that I wasn't anymore. So I took out my Marlboro reds and lit me one. So there I was sitting in this black cocoon, the only visible light being my cigarrette. I found it strangely comforting.

I'll never forget that experience.

No comments: