Monday, July 12, 2004

Dayak in Cyberspace

I decided to do a bit of housekeeping on here blog. A new link here, another one there, that kind of thing.

I just got off work actually. Strangely, I'm not feeling as exhausted as I'm usually am. Perhaps it's the anticipation of the coming long break. I mean, FIVE work free days ? There is no bad there.

You will notice that this entry doesn't carry as much weight as the last few. Although I did say that I wasn't exhausted, my brain is in snooze mode.

I did have an interesting time on Saturday night. By myself. So I went to this karaoke bar, which is now called e-Balcony apparently, previously it was called Sadau Kumang, which was in turn previously known as Pengkalan. I don't get the many name changes. Maybe the place's management's been changing, but you won't see that since the place still looks & smells the same. Even the folks who work there are the same, more or less.

I got my bottle of Guinness and sat by a window, which was open. Bizarrely enough, the place was DEAD. It was nearly 11.00pm on a Saturday night and there was NOBODY there. Not even when I left at close to midnite. Maybe everyone is broke since it is the middle of the month. But actually, it is nice to have a bar all to yourself. And Guinness...what a relaxing beverage, stronger than beer but without the nasty hangover. I recommend having one before bedtime, it's very soothing.

I just have a thought, aside from Dee how many people of Dayak ethnicity have blogs ? Not that it matters but if one were to consider the composition of the population of Sarawak, there's a descrepancy there somewhere (background note: Dayaks from as many as 27 different distinct groups make up nearly half of the 2 plus million people here). To be fair, us Dayaks are still fairly new at this technological thingamabob known as blogging. I wish more of us would blog. I'm thinking a blog written in Iban/Bidayuh (with subtitles ?) would make fascinating reading. And blogs from Sarawak people who don't live in Kuching/Sibu/Bintulu/Miri would be nice too, regardless of race. Life outside the major towns and cities is different I can tell you. There is the question of internet access, but I do know some of the smaller towns have regular service and cybercafes.

I'm actually trying to get my cousin to start blogging. We need more Dayaks in cyberspace !

Damn I'm bored.

No comments: