Sunday, June 13, 2004

Stupid Old People (aka Parents Don't Know Everything, Even if They Think They Do) )

I was reading blogs a moment ago. Now I'm upset.

I read an entry about parents and things they do. About lack of privacy and living with a dad so strict you have to lie just to so you could go out and hang.

This will make me sound like an ungrateful snot of a son to some people. Maybe I am. It all depends on your point of view. An also, I'm not a parent, therefore I'm no expert. This is just my opinion and I'm not taking any of this back. Ever.

Okay, let's consider my own parents. I don't hate them now. But we're not close. I can't talk with them much because eventually they'll get pissed off at me for being rude (read "not having the same opinion as them). I can't go to them with problems because they will blame me for it regardless of whether it was my fault or otherwise. The short of it, my relationship with my parents is shot to hell. Damaged beyond repair.

I used to hate them. We fought a lot. When I was younger, they were the ultimate control freaks. If they could, they would control the thoughts in my mind. Not to mention the verbal and physical abuse. When I was kid, if I did something wrong I would get beaten until I bled. As I got older, I got sick of this. By the time I was 16, it was open warfare. I started smoking, chiefly because I got sick of being accused of smoking when I wasn't. I started to do things just to spite them.

It was not until recently that we stopped our constant fighting. I guess they're getting old. Looking back, I knew why they did the things they did. I understood that they didn't mean to be hurtful or mean, it's just that they were just kids when I was born (21 & 22). And I guess they didn't know how to deal with kids and all the other life stuff.

I don't hate them. But the damage is done. I could never be comfortable with them. I try to be nice to them now. That's all I can do.

I also realized my parents aren't the worse. I'm no angel. I'm not a nice guy. Half the times my parents get pissed at me, they have a right to it. Sometimes it is my fault so I deserve some of the hassle. At least they never dictated my choice of work. They never denied me privacy. They don't go checking my PC or read my mail. And during one of my very extremely rare conversations (read "mom talking and me listening") with my mom, she did tell me that they don't really mind whoever we chose to marry, should we get married at all. That was entirely up to us, me & my brothers.

The thing that I have trouble understanding is that some parents can't trust their kids to do the right thing. That if they aren't controlled they'd screw up and get themselves killed or get involved in some subversiveness or become slut or some shit like that.

I think they are lines parents should not cross. Like privacy. And choice of employment/career. And other stuff that has nothing to do with them but everything to do with their kids. Especially here where they are so many fucked up, cowardly, close-minded, religious freak conversatives. I know some parents open & censor their kids mail. I know parents who will nogt allow their kids to work unless they work at a place they approve of, or the government. I know parents who won't allow their kids to have friends who are of different race/religion/social status as them. What are they thinking ? I know parents worry about their kids but it can be taken too far. I have a distant relative who's mom is such a totalitarian, he had a 7.00pm curfew. He's not allowed to hang out. His entire daily routine is planned by his mom. No big deal right ? Well, it is a big deal when you do it to a 26 year old. Come on, 26 YEARS OLD and you have a curfew ? What the hell !!??

I don't get it. Why do they do these things ? I could go on.

What was the point of that ? That's just a reaction. I feel sorry for some of the people I know who have parents like that. You know the saying,"Father/Mother knows best" ? That's a load of steaming horsehit. If I followed my parents' every whim, I would be a geek with a number 3 haircut and giant glasses, even uglier than I am now. I would be stuck in a government job, doing something I absolutely hate, kissing some jerk's ass to get a promotion. In other words, I'd be extremely unhappy. But that's a whole different story.

No comments: