Monday, June 28, 2004

Something Blue

Warning ! Emo post ahead.

Have you ever had a story that you absolutely have to tell ? You know, the kind that is so compelling, you're just itching to blurt it out despite your better judgement. The type of story
that begs to be shared and posted on the internet, despite it being potentially embarassing and is probably just a whole load of nothing.

Have I got a story for you this evening...

Okay first of all, the necessary boiler plate. Names have been changed to protect the innocent (and myself). The story is just probably me being over-excited and acting like an angsty teenager
again. But I can say one thing. And that is the story is true.

I went out last night. With my-ex (who was supposed to be the subject of tonight's post actually, but something else came up. I'll find a way to slot her story in) and some of our mutual friends.

At first, those mutual friend of ours went to a wedding party in...somewhere that's not in Kuching (whereupon they met another woman from my past, but that's an altogether different story). So we had to wait for them. Now my ex and I, we had a talk a week previously about us. It was a good talk, really brought a sense of closure for the both of us. Now we're just friends.

And like all my good friends, she's trying to fix me up with someone.

Last night, I was supposed to meet with my ex's lecturer friend, whom she is trying to fix up with me. Which is nice actually. Unfortunately it rained and she suddenly declined at the last minute. Okay, never mind I said. I was kinda dissapointed but these things happen (especially to me) so I wasn't entirely surprised.

I was settling in for a night of dinner and conversation with my ex and our friend (who in fact is my nephew's girlfriend) when they finally arrived. She brought company. Cousins. Two of them.

That was when I saw HER.

Now, have you ever met a woman so spectacularly awesomely gorgeous, she could only exist in..in..some other place that's else ? I did last night. It was awesome. And I'm not at liberty
to use her real name, so let's just call her by her NATO phonetic Echo.

And was she hot ! She's slightly smaller than me, has beautiful shoulder length black hair, big brown eyes. She exudes confidence. She has such a dynamic personality (no I'm not talking about her boobs). I was impressed immediately. She laughed heartily and told jokes and poke fun at us. She didn't bother lowering her voice when she spoke. She made a real impression on me.

We sat down for drinks, before we start hitting the clubs. We talked. And laughed. I made the two girls (inc. Echo) guess my age. They got it wrong. That said I had to be in my mid-20s. I was flattered.

After dinner, we went to this karaoke. Well, not so much karaoke, more of a dance place (which didn't play feng-tau techno thankfully. I can't stand feng-tau). We drank. We talked (loudly) and we danced. Or rather she danced and I watched. Can you say sexual tension ? It took all of 20 minutes for me to be totally enraptured by her.

When the night was over, I felt like offering her a ride home (which I can do now since I got wheels haha !!). But she was going home together with her cousins and my ex, since they live in more or less the same area, where as I live in some other place which is nowhere near where they live. I would've insisted but I didn't want to appear too forward/desperate/overeager (which used to be my biggest weakness in such a situation. See I'm learning !!). After all, we've only just met.

That was the most exciting night I've had in a long time.

And now, the aftermath. The fear of rejection. The seeds of doubt in my head. I so desperately want to see her again. Now, if I were to go to myself for advice, I would tell me to just go
ahead and call, crash and burn be damned. Hmm, now it makes me wonder, why is it so bloody hard to follow my own advice ?

God, I've not done this for so so long.

So, after much agonising and thought and simulating best/worst case scenarios in my head I have decided to....do a background check. There's a lot of things I don't know about her. She could be engaged or in a relationship. You never know. Can't be too careful right ?

In the end, I'd probably call her in the next week, just for a chat and maybe dinner (if she doesn't point and laugh at me first).

Or I'll get over this in the next 24hrs and forget about her.

Whatever, wish me luck.

No comments: