Saturday, May 29, 2004

Stuff I did this week

I just signed up for G-Mail. One gb of storage. Now, considering my
lack of e-mail correspondence, what can I do with all that space. I
guess I could turn my g-mail account into a vast sink-hole for spam.
Let's see how fast it fills one gig.

Due to the rather sorry sounding previous post, today I thought of
writing about lighter things. Actually, after I posted the entry
below, I was kinda affected by it. So I did a few things to get over
it.

One was to go to the movies. I watched Troy on Tuesday. It was good.
Not great, but good. It had to be considering how long it was and I
didn't feel like going to the bathroom the whole time. The cast was
great, except maybe Orlando Bloom. He looked really wimpy next to Pitt
& Eric Bana. Eric Bana was the best of the lot. The story was fine,
but I didn't like the way they compressed what was supposed to be a
10year siege into a couple of weeks. All in all, good movie. Now,
where can I find a copy of Illiad eh ?

Wednesday I watched Shrek 2. That movies's just mad. It was a riot,
even from where I was sitting in the second row. Wednesday was cheap
day at the Cineplex, but I never expected that many people to show up.
The place was packed and all the shows were booked solid the whole
night, hence my being in row B. Anyways, Shrek 2 was an absolute
blast. I love the cat !! For a good time, watch Shrek 2. Fun
guaranteed.

I also bought two cds, Avril Lavigne's "Under My Skin" and The
Calling's "II". This is the highlight of this week probably. Both cds
were top notch.

I'm really pleased and surprised by Avril's cd. The music is edgier,
closer to hard rock then pop. Driving bass-lines, improved guitar
work, aggressive drumming and Avril's lyrics are all fab. I noticed
despite the harder music in this cd, her lyrics are a little mellower,
which is good. She's growing up, and probably figuring out that she
doesn't have to be a "punk" rebel all the time (and by the way,
despite what people keep saying, Avril Lavigne is NOT punk). I know, i
know, Avril's a "manufactured" artist and is very commercial bla bla.
But really, even if you're a anti-pop, anti-mtv purist check out this
cd. Surprises await. Watch out for "Nobody's Home" and "My Happy
Ending". Brilliant songs (especially the lyrics).

When compared to their first effort, The Calling's new album is...well
FAR superior. I love it. It's perfect long-distance-drive music,
mid-tempo, mellow pop-rock. I heard this cd a few times already and
there's no stinkers on here. All tracks have merit and easy to listen
to. Emotional but not nauseating, sweet but not sickening. Cool.

Well that's it folks. That's all the stuff I did. Next week will be
fun too. I'll be off the whole week and like any self-respecting Iban
male, I plan to enjoy my Gawai break.

And get totally wasted.

Have a great weekend.

No comments: