Friday, March 05, 2004

The Last Jam

That's it. Our drummer is leaving tonight, KL-bound on the 10.00pm flight out. We wish him the best of luck.

Last night, we had our last jam. Two hour session. We pulled out all the stops and tried to cram as much music as possible into those two hours. My shoulders hurt. My ears rang like a bell for hours afterwards, because we were playing really loud, and the acoustics of the studio was very bad. It wasn't our best session. But it was fun nonetheless. I mean, band, drumset, amps, PAs, electric guitars, bass, bad music. What's not to love ?

We went off after that to eat and indulge in a spot of beer drinking at this eaterie run by one of our friends. There we did all the regular stuff you do in such a place, eg played pool, smoked, ate and drank obscene amounts of smuggled Stella Artois. We talked about trash, life in KL (lived there for five years,so lots of tales) chicks, movies (the Passion of Christ was a hot topic), music (another long topic), aquaculture, cave exploration (??) and other things I can't remember.

When we sent our drummer & our guitarist home, the rest of us, myself, Les (bass) & Shel (voc) went to Open Air to get some more beer and to eat more food. We were kinda restless I guess. While there, we talked about the band for a bit. Now that we have no drummer, I'm be drumming until I either get better at it or we find a new drummer.

I guess this post is just a regular diary entry. I was going to get all serious and philosophical, and talk about the differences between life in the big, bustling metropolis that is KL when compared to the relative calm and quiet that is Kuching. I was going to mention the fact that if anyone from any sleepy town in the country were to live in a city the size of KL, you would change whether you want to or not. Not that change is a bad thing. Living in KL, away from the familiar environs of home, I learned to be self-reliant and open minded. Life there also taught me about people, and no matter how screwed up or insane they get, it's all normal. Also, people do and say stupid things that they regret, but they get over it (most of them at least).

Recalling the "life-in KL" stories I told from last night, It occurs to me what's really important is not the places you go to, but who you're with when you're there. Our friends have more impact on our personalities and lives than we sometimes realize.

It's great that I got some cool really cool buds. Our buddies are important. One day, they might leave. Don't take them for granted.

Thus endeth the ramble.

No comments: