Saturday, March 06, 2004

It's Never Enough

Training Day today. Had to get up early from the barest of sleep, go to the factory by 9.00am and stay until 12.00 for a technical briefing. I would actually like to write about the new fangled security system we were being briefed about but it's a "security system", therefore confidential, therefore.... Yet another tehnological thingamajig that us in the IT Dept. have to support. Maybe it's time to ask for a raise.

I would so whine and moan about my job if I didn't need the money so much. At least I got a position perfectly suited to my loner, geeky self. And the 3-4 off days a week, not much to complain about there. In fact jobwise, I got nothing to complain about. And yet, I feel like bitching about work.

The sucky part ? I don't know exactly what to bitch about. I could bitch about the boredom & loneliness of working solo, but if I had to work constantly with other people, it would drive me nuts. I could whine about the 12 hour shifts, but I work longer & irregular hours in my previous job (and got paid a lot less). So what do I whine about when there's really nothing to whine about (workwise at least) ?

Such is human nature. Nothing is ever satisfactory is there ? No such thing as a "happily ever after" whether it's about work, or about relationships or even about upgrading your PC. There's always things that we want to change, want to replace, want to have. Sometimes I feel like the greatest cause for disappointment in our life is our own self and our idealistic, unrealistic expectations of the things, the situations and the people around us.

We want the best stuff. We want to get our dream job. Some of us want to be rich without working for it. We want our girlfriend/boyfriend to look like those people we see on those Spanish language soaps. We want to drive ridiculously expensive cars. We want to to live in a utopia, surrounded by all that we ever desired, materially or otherwise.

But we live in the real world, so most of us have to make do with 'enough'. There are people who are lucky enough to live in what to most of us, is the ideal life. Obscenely wealthy people, with superstar good looks, hot Italian sports cars and maybe an even hotter Italian wife/husband/partner. By right they should be satisfied. No most likely they're not. Because that's just like us humans. It's never enough.

Don't be mistaken, desire is a good thing. it drives us, makes us try and exceed our selves. It can also lead to delusions of grandeur and ultimately, disappointment.

What's the point I'm trying to make ? Gee I don't know. Maybe the point is, whatever we do, whatever we have, whoever we're with, the urge to bitch and whine and moan and complain will never go away.

That might actually be a good thing. If everyone was happy and contented, they would be a hell of a lot of boring blogs out there :)

Peace out.

No comments: