Tuesday, April 13, 2004

The Rock & a Hard Place

Been reading other people's blog. So many posts about politics & other heavy stuff. It's all good, but I won't be writing about anything like that.

I'm meeting up with friends later. We're going to watch Walking Tall. Wonder what the Rock would be like in that movie.

I'm not a WWE fan. I sometimes enjoy it, it's funny. So overwrought & so dramatic. Like a soap-opera for men. But I don't buy merchandise & I don't follow it religiously.

I do like the Rock though. Unlike so many other wrestlers turned actors, this guy is actually funny. I enjoyed his performance in The Rundown, particularly that scene where he and Seann William Scott get paralyzed after eating fruit. And that scene with the monkey.

Another thing that struck me was how different he is when he's being interviewed as an actor. He's got a refreshing humility and he doesn't seem arrogant. He's got real charm. His acting needs a bit more work but I'm sure he'll get there.

Look at me, talking about the Rock. Cue rolling-off-eyes and judgemental comments about my "mainstream" taste in film. Fine, if you need to laugh and point and call me a dumbass and a pop-culture slave and tut-tut me for watching a movie as frivolous as Walking Tall, go ahead. Hey, want more ammo ? I watched Scooby Doo. Both movies. And enjoyed them too. And you know what else ? You know those heavy drama movies, the arty ones ? I like those too. Like On Golden Pond. However, I find some of these movies a little too pretentious.

I know people who are totally unable to enjoy a film if it wasn't "good" in an artistic sense. They look for things like metaphors & hidden meaning. I do this too. I like to discuss this after a going to the movies actually. But most of the time, people just go to the movies just to have fun, to relax, to laugh, to get scared and most of all to escape. I read the paper and there are people who say that some films are a waste of time cause they aren't relevant and don't instill good morals or some other crap like that.

When I watch a movie, I don't want to learn anything or be reminded about my life. I go to the movies to get away.

If you go to the IMDB forums, you'll find a lot of people who apparently can't do this.

I feel sorry for them.

No comments: