Tuesday, April 27, 2004

The Drive

Like I said in a previous post, last night I went for a drive. One BIG circle, from 3rd mile to across river to the Causewway to Pending and back to 3rd mile.

A random drive. The kind where you're not actually going somewhere. I forgot how much I miss this.

A few years ago, I used to drive about like this too. I didn't have a car at the time. I knew this girl and when she had an urge to hang, she'd come over to my place and I'd drive her car. We'd just drive around aimlessly and talk in the car. She's was cool about this too. Damn I miss her. (She too, is married AND just gave birth last February. All my girl friends are either taken or married uwah....:( )

Why are such long, slow drives pleasant ? Perhaps the solitude or the quiet, especially when done far from town on long stretches of country roads ? The sights and sounds of life passing by ? Or maybe when I'm in the car I can detach myself from the world outside ? Is it a form of escapism ?

I'll do it again. Whenever I want to get away and have some quiet, I'll get in the car and just drive.

You should try it.

One more thing, I often think that many students from our colleges/universities can't write/speak English to save their lives. This guy ain't one of them.

No comments: