Saturday, April 03, 2004

Guise will be Guise

It sucks. Not being able to blog from home. For one thing, cybercafes are loud places, where people (mostly annoying kids) play things like Ragnarok & Counterstrike. Writing to the sound of gunfire doesn't really help with coherency I can tell you that.

I was reading some stuff at Amy's Communal Blog and I read something quite interesting. Interesting as in interestingly true.

Kristie, she said that online, people tend to be less defensive and more open about themselves. She also said that the allure of being online is the instant intimacy, without the preamble and pick up lines and other maddeningly maddening mind games. She's right.

Read a person's weblog and you are seeing right into the persons life. There is potential to really know someone, maybe even more so if you were to meet the actual person in real life. It's about dropping your guise. For example, I have stuff here that I would never talk about with my friends face to face (except when we're drunk). I'm pretty sure many other bloggers feel this way.

So now, the question becomes why. Why is it so comfortable to write personal things on the net and have people comment on them ? I'm guessing that we all need someone to connect with, someone who can find our experiences and opinions relatable. And on the Net, people tend to get less judgemental, maybe because we can't see each other. And therefore cannot form any biases or prejudices based on our physical appearences.

Interesting subject isn't it ?

Now, excuse me I have to drive to work now. Have a nice weekend.

No comments: