Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Life Serial Too

I've decided to take a break from writing this last two days. Straighten out the brain cells you know ? Chill out a bit.

Also, I had to handle some mundane, everyday stuff. Like sending my car for an oil change/tune-up(it's first one !! Yes I've driven a thousand clicks in that thing), paying loans and stuff like that. Lots of little things to do.

It's so easy to get caught up with the minutiae of daily life and lose the big picture isn't it ? I've often talked about this with my friends. I've seen colleagues & people I know whose entire lives consists of going to work, sleeping, eating and going to work. No hobbies, no outside personal stuff, no nothing. Even worse is when they glare at me dissaprovingly when I talk about my guitar playing/band related stuff, or my computer games or my going out and hanging out in the evenings or even my blogging. There are some people in this world who feel that if you're not working or studying or otherwise "improving" yourself, you're wasting your life and you're nothing but a parasite to society.

Some of these people (who'll otherwise remain unnamed), actually believe that their reason for being is work, work, work. It's sad. It's sad when they don't think it's right to spend money to do/buy stuff you like. It's sad when you can't see that life is bigger than that. Even if they actually enjoy this, it's still sad (to me anyway, maybe I'm wrong).

I was about to write a different post about something else entirely (a smart little one tentatively entitled "Outside Looking In"), but this just jumped out right at me.

Okay, okay. I do realize that some people have no choice but back-breaking labour. I do realize that there are people who are under intense pressure that they can't "afford" to do stuff outside. I know because I was one of these people. I once had to work 7 days a week, maybe 360 out of 365 days a year. I hated that.

To truth to me is that you gotta ask a question. As busy as you are, how important is it for you to have free personal time ? If it's important enough, you will make time for it. Contrary to popular old-school belief, taking time off isn't a sign of being lazy. I think it's important, and people don't discuss this fact often enough.

So do yourself a favor and chill out. Your brain and your spirit will thank you for it.

No comments: