Sunday, July 20, 2008

TDK


I watched The Dark Knight on Wednesday night. I was out with a friend and originally was planning to watch Hellboy 2. While queuing up for tickets I noticed that incredibly, the 10.00pm show was not yet full. In fact, some very nice seats were still available. Thus we ended up watching The Dark Knight instead.

What can I say about the new Batman movie? What can I say? I don't have enough superlatives for it. Honestly.

It was awesome, to cut a long story short.

I would like to say a few things about Heath Ledger's Joker. Now that's what I can a villain! He was kickass. Twisted, evil, chaotic and rather deranged. So out of control not even the great Batman could adequately deal with him at first. Hands down and without a doubt, this is the definitive Joker.

The Joker was fantastic. No doubt, the highlight of the film and one of the best (worst?) onscreen villains I've had the pleasure of watching.

It's so unfortunate that Heath isn't around to enjoy the accolades that he so richly deserves for such an effective job. There's this buzz going around the entertainment circles that Heath should get an Oscar for his work. I don't disagree one little bit.

The rest of the cast weren't so bad either. Christian Bale, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman were all top notch and I enjoyed watching them. Especially Gary Oldman.

I also have good opinions about Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent/Two Face. He was great and played the antihero extremely well. I felt sorry for Two Face. You rooted for him and wished that he would just stop and calm down but in the end...

Tragic. And very fun to watch.

I'm also quite impressed with Maggie Gyllenhaal. Before this I didn't know too much about her aside from the fact that she's Jake's sister. But she's much better and livelier as Rachel Dawes than Katie Holmes was in Batman Begins.

So how about the story? It was long and very detailed. A tip before watching TDK, make sure you go to the bathroom and have something to eat. It's a very long movie. Which was necessary to flesh out the complex plot. Which was all about the Joker and his manipulations.

TDK is one of those blink-and-you'll-miss-it type of movie, although some parts did get a bit tiresome. Especially the monologues. They could've reduced that and it would help move things along.

You need to pay attention in order for everything to make sense. Lots of subtle plot points to be noticed in all the dialogue.

Yes, there is a lot of talking. But the action does not disappoint. Of course. It's a Batman movie after all. I won't write about Batman's new gadgets (and his new suit and why he needed a new one). Just go and watch the movie already.

In summary, The Dark Knight is the best movie I've watched this year. It's also the best superhero movie I've watched in a long time. And it's also the best crime drama I've watched in a long time.

TDK works as a superhero movie and works just as well as a crime movie too. I love the gritty, realistic feel of the new Batman universe. It's more believable and not so overblown like some other superhero movies and this is a great thing.

Looking forward to the next Batman movie. Too bad Heath Ledger's Joker won't be in it...

Have you watched TDK? If not, then what are you waiting for?

No comments: