Thursday, July 24, 2008

Black Gold

A few days ago, I hung out with a friend at MJC. He's just come back from spending 45 days on board a barge at sea working on oil rigs.

It was a very, very interesting evening. Among other things, I got to know about what goes on onboard these barges. Of course, the most interesting thing was his wages.

I can think of a few words to describe it. Astronomical would be one of it. Especially when compared to mine.

The working conditions are harsh. You could end up spending more than 60 days at sea, going from rig to rig hundreds and hundreds of miles from home and from friends and family. Or any piece of land for that matter. Obviously this kind of work isn't for everyone.

My friend urged me to try applying for this kind of work. Despite my doubts, he says he's sure I can do it.

I do have my doubts. It's a huge risk. I need to quit my job now and go attend some courses to get certified for off shore work. That costs but I have the money. If I pass and get certified, I need to go to Miri to look for work.

To be honest, I've been thinking about this for months. Even since this friend of mine left for Sibu. My brother went along with him.

My brother is coming home soon after 2 months off shore. I'm going to grill him for answers. I have a lot of questions. Especially about pay.

Obviously, I'm quite uncertain about changing jobs at the moment even though I do feel it's time to do so. I've been working at my current job for the last 6 years I think. I like my job. It would be very hard to leave it.

Making big changes are always very hard. Especially hard when it involves changing jobs, changing cities, changing industry, changing... well, everything.

But if all the things that my friend told me were true, I'd be a fool to let this opportunity slip by. I can end up earning up to 10 times more than what I do now. If I plan well, I can actually save enough to retire early!

I'm still worried but I think I owe it to myself to find out as much as I can before making a decision.

I hope it works out. I do want to leave and I do want to make a fortune if I can. If it does then at least I'll never need to worry about money anymore.

I have a few more days to think before making my final decision.

No comments: