Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Mirage

It's sad.

The last few days, I've read a few things that showed that bigotry and hypocrisy is alive and well. It's not what you think, actually. It's not just about big picture issues like politics and religion. Of course, the religion one is very big and very distressing actually. There's not a lot that I can say about this particular issue. I just shake my head and hope cooler heads prevail.

Anyway, I think it's kind of appalling that some people are so fixated with the idea of their own superiority. It sickens me. Low self esteem is often bad, but unrealistically high self esteem can often be worse.

Take some people for example.

On one hand they may complain that good potential relationship partners are hard to find. But as soon as a person takes interest in them, out comes the pedestal. Of course, being on a pedestal doesn't help with the getting to know people part of relationship. Neither does it help that some people have a preset prejudice about certain people of certain races and those who belong to "inferior" societies, especially in relation to "superior" western ones.

While I do try to understand where such a perspective may come from, I also believe that one must try to adapt to their current environment, which may include people who are totally different. Among other things, this will make it easier to make friends. Most certainly, it will make it easier in a job setting. And of course, this will allow for a more realistic expectation and a more open mind when it comes to people.

We are all guilty of having expectations that are either too idealistic or too unrealistic in our lives, either now or in the past. That's not the worse thing though. The worse is possibly having said expectations and prejudices and being blind to them. You can't change what you can't see.

So what's this all about then? A lot of things actually. Social issues, work, friendship etc. I could write individual posts about each, but they all will say basically the same thing.

The minute you think you're "better" than everybody, life pays you back for that, often by cutting you off from people, whether you realize it or not.

In other news, I have an appointment on Friday evening that I'm very excited (and nervous) about. It involves an engagement dinner, a beautiful woman whom I've not met in years, a roomfull of strangers and NO backup.

Wish me luck...

No comments: