Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Hindsight

Ok. Ten minute post before all the other elves arrive at the office. It would help if I actually had something to write about.

It's three weeks and the year is out. I find that amazing.

And this year, a very rare year when I don't feel like greeting the end of it with a great big sigh of relief. Instead, I'll have some good memories from this year.

I wish so much that I could have had a year like this 10 years ago, when I was 22. Yeah, now and then I remember what a complete waste of a decade 1993-2003 was. A complete, utter waste of time. I regret nearly every moment of it.

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago. In it, I went back to key moments in my memory and righted wrongs and made the right choices.

In one of my old jobs, my boss asked me and another colleague to choose between MIS and another position at the networking services, I stood up and chose to go and be a support technician as opposed to staying a programmer, which is very hard when you can't do programming. Had I chosen tech support, I might still be there, earning more than I do now. Plus, it was a government position with all the bells and whistles.

I said no thanks to a "business" deal with a friend, thus saving me around 40,000 bucks and a whole lot of trouble later on.

Instead of banging my head into a brick wall while I try to get together with an ex-girlfriend who obviously wasn't interested and have said so a dozen times, I cut my loses and walked away despite my own desires.

Instead of going to Saratok when someone I fancied asked me, I said no instead, knowing that I don't do well when meeting older people and do even worse when there is an ostensibly "superior" rival.

I wake up and since having that dream, I keep asking where would I be now if I had done things right, if I had been more decisive.

I'd probably be a lot happier, a lot sooner. I'd probably be a bigger, better, faster me.

That's the beauty of hindsight isn't it? It's always 20/20.

No comments: