Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Blogging in the News and Some Other Internet Stuff

I've just received some groan-worthy news. Because of some really big thing that's going to happen at work, I'll be extremely busy. I'll have to work one or two extra days a week, starting this week.

For the next one and a half months....

Dammit. The extra money had better be worth it. Depending on how pissed off I am at the end of that period, I'm going to buy something unnecessarily expensive for myself.

However busy I become, at least my boss was kind enough to let me go to RWMF in July. At least I don't have to make any changes to those plans.

And speaking of Rainforest, I might actually just hang at the hotel instead of watching any of the events. I'm actually more interested to people-watch on the day. We'll see what happens.

I'm going to put up a few links before I forget.

First of all, Malaysian bloggers made the news yesterday. Positive news too. This is probably going to sound cynical, but now I'm going to see how long it takes before some moral guardian wannabe starts talking about how blogging is "bad" because no one has any real control over it.

I wish I was kidding, but everyone knows this country is rife with assholes like that. Anyone taking any bets before they start making noises ?

Negativity and cynicism aside, I'm quite please with the local blogging community. It's lively and can be quite influential at times. It's a whole lot better than some other forms of online community that much I can say.

When it comes to blogging, I'm sure a lot of us have read or heard some misgivings from some quarters about things like style or content or the reasons behind blogging or even the perceived behavior of the average Malaysian blogger as opposed to a foreign one. As much as this form of elitism and prejudice irks me, everyone is entitled to a say. Even the trolls.

So what do I say about blogging ? Blog away, for whatever reason. Blog to provide an alternative source of news. Or to talk about life. Or cars. Or sports. Or nothing at all even. Blog just for the hell of it. Or to look for new friends. Maybe find some old ones.

There are no set rules for blogging. The Internet is the new Wild West. You make your own rules.

So go ahead and start a blog, if you haven't already. Don't knock it until you try it. And don't feed the trolls.

In other news, Marina Mahathir came up with another gem of a column. Check it out. When it comes to interracial relations, I guess we, the general public, need to be reminded that our society isn't like what some of our beloved out-of-touch political figures would want us to believe.

It's a good thing to remember.

Finally, last week I found two very good articles about the SUV culture. Good reads, here and here. Now before anything else, I would like to say that I am not biased against people owning SUVs. It's just a vehicle after all. But I do have some problems with SUV drivers who don't give a shit about the rest of the people around them, just because they're bigger and higher.

Drive around town and you'll see what I mean. They are a lot of people who can't drive out there, and some of the worse (try to) drive SUVs. Watch yourself and be careful now.

Somehow, I'm quite certain I'm not the only one who notices bad behaviour among SUV drivers.

Right, it's lunch now. Gotta go. It's going to be a long day today.

*Today was such a busy day, this post took five hours to write.

PS : Reminder, I need to update my blog roll.

No comments: