Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Iron Fist

Tonight's post was supposed to be about something completely trivial and unimportant. Then I read this and this.

For those people who don't want to read the links basically the story is about Hannah Yeoh, DAP assemblywoman, not being invited to the SMK Subang Utama prefects' reunion. This is because teachers from the school have issued threats to the organisers. This is apparent because she isn't a BN rep.

You know what is the saddest thing about this? The saddest thing is this kind of thing isn't a huge surprise. Are you surprised?

In an ideal world, this shouldn't happen. But this is Malaysia, so this happens all the time.

Even sadder is that right at this very moment I could think of many excuses BN supporters will come up with to justify excluding non-BN politicians from coming anywhere near a so-called government institution. I guess for some people, politicising education and schools is perfectly acceptable.

I guess I shouldn't even bother writing this stuff. This is typical of the UMNO driven federal government isn't it? The same government which defines patriotism as love of BN. The same government which is addicted to gratitude and blind sheep mentality of it's supporters. The same government who considers dissent as "disloyalty".

I'm not a huge fan of the government. The federal government makes me sick. But I'm not a huge fan of the opposition either. A lot of them make me sick too.

So the question is, will this ever change? Will we ever see a different type of federal government who won't resort to threats and won't keep reminding people to be grateful to them for something their predecessors did decades and decades ago?

Anwar wants us to think so. Lim Kit Siang wants us to think so.

Honestly, I don't think so.

One must remember that for all their promises of change, these fellows are all the same thing as their BN opponents. Politicians. Their main agenda is to put forward their party's agenda. People's welfare is a side effect.

They'll tell you otherwise but I've seen enough behind the scenes. It's.... hard to explain.

This party line thing this is why we have shit like party whips in parliament. I remember someone commented on a post I wrote months trying to justify the system. I guess it might make a lot of sense to those who believe in it. But it all sounds like a lot of shit to me.

But what do I know, I'm an anti-authoritarian anarchist after all. I hate authority as a rule. *shrug*.

Bottom line is, once you join a political organisation you can kiss your own conscience and your own opinions goodbye. It's all about the party from day one. So if your friends and supporters bring up an issue that is contrary to the party line you're supposed to tell them to shut the hell up. Even if you agree with it yourself.

I don't really enjoy the political scene. I'm too bull headed and rebellious for it.

So, what can we do?

Well, for me I'll just carry on and stay the hell away from politics and limit my interaction with government bodies to the absolute minimum.

Finally, what is the point of this post?

It's just a rant. It has no point. It offers no solution. It offers no alternatives. I don't have to back it up with stats and facts and figures and shit like that. I'm not a journalist. This is a blog. Not a goddamn newspaper.

It's just there to be a pain in the ass on the internet. Which what government people insist they can control and censor, but in reality, they can't...

Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

No comments: