Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Quoted for Truth


This is true you know. There were many reasons why I stopped playing World of Warcraft. This was one of it. Sometimes I feel that many online communities like forums, online games and MMORPGs are very elitist and very, very unfriendly to new comers (or n00bs as they are called).

There was an article on Kotaku discussing the potential financial impact of newbies quiting online gaming due to mistreatment by more experienced gamers. The impact can be quite serious. I can't find the article at the moment but it's on there somewhere.

Usually people are behave well enough in real life. I sometimes think that being online brings out the worst in people. Sometimes I think that this actually reflects what people really are if it weren't for social norms that govern behaviour.

Anonymity does that. Anonymity protects people from the consequences of their actions and if people can get away with whatever it is that they are doing or saying, they will.

Such is human nature.

Anyway, I wasn't really planning on writing about this just now actually. It's one of those days when I feel like posting.

I'm still in recovery mode from last week's flu attack. When I'm recovering from illness I often get nostalgic.

I believe that our memories of past experiences impact our present experiences in a really big way. Like right now in my case. I may not enjoy getting ill but recovery from illness always brings a surge of memories and emotions I haven't felt in a long time.

Those memories are good. When I was a kid and through my time in secondary school, a lot of good stuff happened during recovery from illnesses. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining the whole thing or if it's a case of messed up hormones or sheer mad coincidences but I remember a lot of happy times coinciding with being sick.

Me remembering happy times. Now that is rare. Suddenly I wish I could go through those times again. Good times they were. Only I would do a few things differently. Maybe then I would be left with a little more than just fleeting memories...

Anyway, I hadn't really planned on writing about this either. It's one of those days.

What I was planning to write about was me contemplating buying a new and bigger hard disk. My current 250Gb hard disk is getting full.

500Gb. Should I?

No comments: