Sunday, April 27, 2008

Damn Good Movie


I've had no mood to blog recently. Don't really know why, there's nothing wrong. I just didn't feel like it. I have a bunch of photos in my phone that I could blog about but somehow the muse wasn't there.

Anyway, last night I watched 30 Days of Night. How good is this movie? One horror movie website called it "one of the most insanely violent, scary and suspenseful horror films in years". I agree with much enthusiasm.

The movie is set in Barrow, Alaska, the northernmost town in the US where the sun don't shine for 30 days during the depths of winter. During one such winter, vampires decide to cut the town off from civilisation and proceed to feed on it.

Rallied by the town sheriff, a few survivors of the initial vampire attack attempt to hide and wait out the winter darkness. What follows is a gut wrenching game of hide and seek as the vampires try to find and lure them out. Real edge of the seat stuff. The pacing was just right without any draggy bits. Plenty of tension and it never lets up until the last minute.

The vampires are visceral, almost animal like, merciless, extremely violent and sadistically evil with absolutely none of the mysterious sexual charm you might find in other movie vampires. They may look human but they are clearly not. I think this is what makes them all the more terrifying.

This is what constitutes most of this movie's brownie points in my opinion.

This movie is damn good, the best vampire movie I've watched in years and years. It's right up there with From Dusk Till Dawn. Extremely highly recommended for horror fans who will love the ball busting, no bullshit nature of this movie. Trust me, you won't regret it.

A word of warning though. This is not for the squeamish or the weak hearted. There are scenes that will make your stomach churn.

Suddenly, I got this urge to go watch From Dusk Till Dawn again. Anybody got a DVD or VCD I could borrow or copy?

No comments: