Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day

A lot can change in one year. Even more in two.

I got curious as to what I did on Valentine's Day these few years so I went and read a couple of old entries, one from 2006 and one from 2005. I also read some other old stuff from February from both years.

In many ways, I've changed quite a bit, I think.

For some people it's a good day, obviously.

Valentine's Day can drive people up the wall sometimes, especially those people who are single. Other times, it can cause people to act rather strangely, and not in a good way. It even affects some people who for the rest of the year, couldn't be bothered about their "status".

One could say such people are "weak". Maybe that's true. But no one likes to be reminded that they are single, even if you normally don't care. I'm not sure why really. Perhaps its the overdose of mushy Public Displays of Affection(TM). Perhaps its the blatantly overpriced Valentine's Day "peripherals". Perhaps it's the whole cheesiness of it.

For some people, the things they see on Valentine's is the most glaring evidence of their "failure". Even worse when you are alone and all your friends are not single. It's like the whole world is laughing and going na-na-na-na-na at you.

I used to feel like that. It's not very nice to be reminded that you are alone and can't really "join in".

Boy, that was a long time ago.

Those thoughts come back every now and then but these days, it is just background noise. I deal with it. I just wished I dealt with it 10 years ago. Would've saved me a lot of angst and time.

I had dinner last night at a Japanese place with Gette and Rin. It was nice. I had salmon yome. It was better than I thought.

We weren't celebrating Valentine's day. It was just dinner with friends and that is a good thing on any given day regardless of special occasions.

It's tempting to write off Valentine's Day but I choose not to do that now. Regardless of my own thoughts about it, it is a good day for some people and I'm not going to begrudge them the good times that they will no doubt have.

For those people who do have someone with them on Valentine's Day (and other festivities and special occasions) I just hope that they realize that they are extremely lucky when compared to some of their friends.

Perhaps it should be a day for gratitude as well, not only for lovers but also friends. It's worth a thought no?

I am having a good week though. On Tuesday, Burning Crusade arrived.

It's bloody awesome.

No comments: