Thursday, February 08, 2007

Shooting Over the Crossbar\UNO!\WoW

Eight days into February and only 2 posts. That is quite a lot number. During angstier blogging days, I would have at least 6 by now. When I think about my relatively low blogging activity, I do feel as if I'm being lazy.

I must keep my eyes peeled and write more. Perhaps I should write about girls again. I know one or two people who quite enjoy reading that kind of stuff.

To be honest, I quite enjoy reading about that too.

While I'm on that vein, relationship based topics are quite interesting to debate are they not? I do notice that a lot debates involving relation topics tend to generate into a "whose fault it is?" kind of flow.

I guess we all look for answers and many of us are kind of frustrated by our own apparent lack of ability to do what others seem to be able to do without even trying.

Anyway, I read another blog post about relationships here. It is yet another one of those "nice guys finish last" type of posts, a topic that is quite interesting to me.

I'm not going to write about the "nice guy" thing in detail though. I've written a lot of stuff about it before.

I do have an extra point that I've just thought about.

Those of us who, for one reason or another, can't get into relationships, need to consider one very important point.

When I go out and try to date, am I being realistic?

As I've said in another post before, sometimes we need to look in the mirror and see whether the person we like will have a reasonable chance of liking us back. Sometimes, we set ourselves up to be let down. We aim too "high".

That sounds kind of harsh doesn't it? Weren't we told that all us humans are equal and no one is better than the other? The sad truth is, in relationship at least, there is such a thing as levels. There is such a thing as vainly trying to attract someone who is way above you. You know the expression "way out of your league"?

At least from my own experiences and observation, this is true, unfortunately. Even yourself, are you going give your time of day to EVERYONE who says that they like you? There is always some kind of "minimum requirement" that potential partners must fulfill regardless of whether we are consciously doing the filtering or not. Someone can ask what kind of "minimum requirements" are justified and what are not? This is a whole topic which I can't be arsed to think about right now, to be honest.

Anyway, there you go. I think for some of us, the seeds of personal catastrophe come from the choices that we make, consciously or otherwise. So the next time we fall for someone, let's ask a question:

Am I being realistic?

Another thing that comes out of this is the question "How do I change my tastes in women/men?" Unfortunately, I have no idea.

These days, I like to say that my status is "Inactive" or "Out of Service" instead of just "Single". The thing is (and I think I've mentioned this in a previous post too) I have this self-destructive habit of getting attracted to women who are unavailable (married\long term relationship) or who will never see me "that way" or otherwise bad for me.

I still don't know why and I have no idea if it's related to my "tastes" which is, to be fair, quite reasonable. She doesn't really need to be physically "hot" like some model. She just needs to be "interesting". Also laid back. And not uber intense. And not interested in those "power games" some people like to play. And not have a short, unreasonable, random fuse ala my mom.

Sorry, I digressed.

Back on topic, I don't know where my self destructive relationship streak comes from. If it is my taste in women, how do I change it?

See? We all look for answers. Until I find a way to undo the fatal attraction, I will remain "Out of Service" until further notice.

In other news, my D&D thing is delayed due to work and a general lack of ideas on my part. Writing a plot is not an easy thing. Really. Anyway, my friends and I have discovered another equally evilly addictive pastime to while away the hours.

UNO!

This game is Evil. Seriously. It is so good, it's bad.

In other news, I triumphantly returned to World of Warcraft yesterday after spending the entire previous day download 900Mb worth of updates. So, I log in, go to my favourite server and loaded a character.

That was when I discovered that I had completely forgotten how to play the game...

So I went and created a new character to help me reorient myself. Things are going well and I'm going to resume a more advanced character tomorrow morning.

One of the better things that I noticed about this latest patched version of WoW is the way the game handles latency. My ping is quite bad, around 900ms. But the game doesn't feel laggy at all even when I'm in a city.

Oh yes, I've also just ordered Burning Crusade. I hope it doesn't get lost in the Chinese New Year mail rush.

No comments: