Sunday, September 18, 2005

A Blog Post about Blogging


Apparently, according to a survey released by AOL, blogging is therapeutic. I can't help it but think,"Duhhh..." but I think I may be biased because one of the reasons for my own blogging is therapy.

Therapy by blogging. It works, that much I know.

There's lots of reasons why people blog nowadays, especially considering how trendy it is becoming. Of all the reasons, one of the reasons that I don't quite agree with is that some people out there would undoubtedly start blogging to be famous and get thousands of hits a day. Blogging for hits seems insincere somehow.

It's like those people with Friendster accounts who trawl for "friends" so that they can be known as the Friendster user with the most number of friends. I mean, I've seen Friendster users with THREE full accounts. I seriously doubt that they're THAT friendly, or that they know all those "friends" of theirs. I don't know, it seems like she's abusing the facility and turning what is a good idea in the first place into some kind of competitive sport. Imagine that, competitive "friend" making. How would that look in the Olympics you wonder.

Same goes for blogging for hits. I'd like to think that the point of blogging is not how many visitors you get, at least not the major point. But, it's a free Internet and I guess people can do whatever they want, even competitive blogging.

I'm not begruding bloggerbrities (it's a new word I'm trying out since I read it somewhere a few days ago). I've already mentioned it before and I'll say it again, bloggers who write well and have good blogs deserve their number of hits and their resultant fame. That's always cool. Makes the rest of us bloggers "trendier" and with that, less chance of being picked on by muscleheads who think computers are only for geeks who can't get chicks/guys.

I have a thought. Remember the movie You Got Mail? I liked it.

Well, since blogging and blogs are increasingly popular, how long would it be before someone makes a movie about bloggers and blogging. Someone should tell Yasmin Ahmad to rustle up a screenplay. It'll be interesting to see what kind of story it would be.

I can imagine that it would probably be some kind of romantic movie, or a comedy.

In other news, Lim Kit Siang has a blog. Most Malaysian bloggers would probably know about this by now. But think about this. Here we have the lead Opposition MP blogging and allowing people to leave comments. Which means that regular people can talk and ask questions to him DIRECTLY without needing to make an appointment and going through protocol. Provided that he actually reads all the comments of course.

Talk about hands on. Talk about brave, considering the potential amount of crap he would get from trolls.

I know of another MP who has a blog, an UMNO backbencher. I don't know where I put the link. I'll post it when I find it. The last time I went, it was mostly transcripts of speeches though so don't get your hopes up.

I think blogs by famous people are intriguing, provided that they actually write blog entries instead of just using their blog as a place to announce concert dates, movie premieres and political functions. If it is a proper blog, it gives some insight into how they think and what they really are as opposed to the public image that we see. It makes them more, human.

I think that's a good thing.

Whatever it is, one thing is for sure. This blogging thingie is getting pretty big. I'm pleased to be a part of it.

No comments: